PDA

View Full Version : downgrading pad size

sum1else
08-31-2008, 11:31 AM
I just started using a PC7424 with 6.5" pads and i am getting no results (meaning my minimal light swirls are still there)... I am pretty confident I am doing everything correctly, so i would like to downgrade to smaller pads. I looked into getting the smallest 4" pads and backing plate, but I can`t seem to find the counterweight thats appropriate for this size pad. Any ideas where to go? or can i just use the 5" counterweight? i am using menzerna IP and FP2 on a 2008 jet black bmw, if you think that maybe this could effect my results. Thanks

snowskate
08-31-2008, 11:35 AM
i`ve had no probs with the 5" counterweight. my PC just doesn`t fatigue my hands after hours at speed 6.

i only use 5.5 and 4" pads with the PC now, unless it`s a glaze or wax/sealant; there i use 6.5" blue and red LC CCS pads.

sum1else
08-31-2008, 11:43 AM
OK thanks, i wont worry about it then. Also on Auto Geek when i look to order the 4" pads it says:

Likewise, when using Spot Buffs on a circular polisher, do not use them in excess of 1000 rpm. A dual-action polisher has a varied motion so you can afford to set it slightly higher, between 3 and 4.

Is this true? can i not use the small pads on full speed 5 or 6, or am i just looking at the wrong pads

Legacy
08-31-2008, 04:54 PM
You will be fine with the 4" pads @ speed 6 for polishing.

LeadingEdgeDetail
08-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Be careful not to push hard when on speed 6, I melted the velcro on my 3.5" backing plate on speed 6 :(

BigAl3
08-31-2008, 07:51 PM
I looked into getting the smallest 4" pads and backing plate, but I can`t seem to find the counterweight thats appropriate for this size pad. Any ideas where to go? or can i just use the 5" counterweight?

you`ll be fine with the counterweight that is supplied on the PC and you can purchase the backing plate for the 4" pads here (you may want to call patrick and ask when he`ll be getting more in, unless he already has gotten them)... 3.5^^ Hook & Loop Flexiplate (out of stock) (http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=37932&pd=284883) also, look into some 5.5" pads as well...

eyezack87
08-31-2008, 11:02 PM
You`ll love 4in pads but hate how much longer it "seems" to take when you polish :)

Accumulator
09-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Sorta random thoughts follow:

The PC`s counterweights are designed around the different weight of the backing plate sizes. Even a small backing plate, once you add a foam pad wet with product, is usually gonna weigh more than any backing plate with a single sheet of sandpaper. Once you start using pads/etc. instead of sheets of sandpaper, it`s very different from what the PC was designed to do.

I use the 6" counterweight with all sizes of pads/plates and it works fine.

I do find that some 4" foam pads just don`t seem happy at speed 6, when that happens I turn it down to around 4. Still does all the correction you could ask for IME.

If whatever you`re trying does *not* do all the correction you want, try the 3.5" LC PFW pads. Those do the job, even on hard clear.

wannafbody
09-01-2008, 11:19 AM
4 inch pads on speed 6 is quite the handful. The PC shakes like a go go dancer.

Junebug
09-04-2008, 05:22 AM
I like 4" pads but the low profile ones I really like for correction (orange LC) do not have velcro all the way across the back and as a result - these pads rip up after a few hard details. The thicker CCS 4" pads have full velcro backing. Maybe that`s why the low profile ones are cheaper and always in some buy a dozen and get a deal on AG.

SiegeX
09-04-2008, 12:17 PM
I had a thread I created in the `Car Detailing` form about the results of my first detail and this thread seems relevant for my results. The pads I got were Adam`s Polishes 7.5" pads which as a newb I thought the bigger the better and less time spent. Boy was I wrong, I couldn`t get out but the lightest of scratches with that behemoth of a pad. I am now going to go down to 4" pads. I am thinking on getting 4" Yellow and Orange CCS to make sure I don`t over or under kill the job. But for polishing and finishing I think I`m just going to get 5.5" White CCS and 5.5" Blue CCS respectively. Does that seem like a solid plan, or is it really worth getting multiple polishing and finishing pads as well?

Accumulator
09-04-2008, 12:27 PM
..I am thinking on getting 4" Yellow and Orange CCS to make sure I don`t over or under kill the job. But for polishing and finishing I think I`m just going to get 5.5" White CCS and 5.5" Blue CCS respectively. Does that seem like a solid plan, or is it really worth getting multiple polishing and finishing pads as well?

That will probably work OK if you do all the correction with the 4" pads and just use the 5.5" white ones to remove the residual micromarring.

SiegeX
09-04-2008, 12:33 PM
That will probably work OK if you do all the correction with the 4" pads and just use the 5.5" white ones to remove the residual micromarring.

Thats exactly what I had in mind. However do you think I`m doing myself a disservice by not getting a 5.5" orange pad for those areas that don`t need all that much attention? Perhaps just use the 4" pads as spot removal and the 5.5" Orange as my generic go to correction pad? Will the 5.5" White pad still be sufficient to remove the 5.5" orange pad micro marring or would I need to go to the more aggressive 5.5" Green pad?