PDA

View Full Version : What is the right way to clean a lambswool mitt?

Pages : [1] 2

Egoolps
08-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Obviously we can`t throw it in the wash.

What is the best cleaning product for it?

BigAl3
08-29-2008, 09:46 PM
when i`m done using my sheepskin/lambswool mitt when washing, i put it inside the bucket with fresh water after i`ve re-rinsed it out, and soak it/massage it to rid any leftover soap, etc., out. then, i`ll fill the inside of the mitt with water (put the garden hose inside the mitt and hold the cuff tightly and it will flush out debris through the mitt, and you can also rub it as you do so to loosen out any dirt, soap, etc., out) once again. then i hang dry it on a pant hanger with the little clips and make sure to leave the cuff open so it dries up inside too...

Thomas Dekany
08-30-2008, 12:23 AM
woolite on gentle in the washing machine, but only the PFW type of wool pads of course.

Holden_C04
08-30-2008, 12:27 AM
woolite on gentle in the washing machine, but only the PFW type of wool pads of course.

I think he was talking about wash mitts. :D

Thomas Dekany
08-30-2008, 12:34 AM
I think he was talking about wash mitts. :D

:wall:wall:wall

I should pay attention.

Accumulator
08-30-2008, 11:33 AM
I usually just work it in the shampoo mix and then rinse it out. But mine have survived washing in the machine on delicate/etc. cycle with Woolite.

Come to think of it, my mitts really don`t get very dirty, I hardly ever have to really clean `em. And they seem to hold up very well...I pretty much just abuse/neglect them but they still last a long, long time.

Bigpoppa3346
08-30-2008, 12:07 PM
What`s wrong with throwing them in the wash...?

I just throw mine in with my MFs used for washing, it works fine. Granted, I only use a wool mitt on dark color cars, I find MF mitts hold up much better.

Accumulator
08-30-2008, 12:34 PM
..I just throw mine in with my MFs used for washing...

I`ve had wool mitts contaminate MFs with wool lint...never could get it all out.

Bigpoppa3346
08-30-2008, 03:43 PM
I`ve had wool mitts contaminate MFs with wool lint...never could get it all out.

Really?

Keep in mind I mostly use MF mitts, I do a load of WW MFs probably 2-3 times a week, and I probably use a wool mitt 4 times a month max, I`m guessing that the wool just sorta flushes out of the MFs during the washes that they don`t get used.

Accumulator
08-31-2008, 10:33 AM
Bigpoppa3346- Yeah, I had a brain-pause and forgot to take the sheepskin/wool mitts out of the washer. Loaded up a batch of MF towels with them for one cycle and *ZAP*, instant nasty-duty-only for all of `em. Months later they *still* have wool strands in them :o

Wouldn`t have bothered me much had the MFs in question been my wash mitts, but on towels that get used *dry* the wool cross-contamination was fatal.

Mindflux
08-31-2008, 10:47 AM
I just hold the mitt by the finger tips and run my hose over it, back flushing against the grain of the hairs. Then I gently squeeze them dry and lay them over the edge of my bucket to try or on my grit guards depending on if I`m carrying stuff in the buckets or not.

snowskate
08-31-2008, 11:45 AM

A BIG light bulb went off in my head as I read this! I never thought about this kind of contamination. :think2

I`ve had great results with tossing my mitts in the wash. I wash them with MF wash along with my drying WWMFs but not the general purpose MFs or any that are used for wax/sealant/polish removal.

Honestly, this method has kept my SS/LW mitts clean and soft. The only complaint is the cuff is separating from the hide, but the mitt itself remains pretty much brand new.

daneel
09-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Bigpoppa3346- Yeah, I had a brain-pause and forgot to take the sheepskin/wool mitts out of the washer. Loaded up a batch of MF towels with them for one cycle and *ZAP*, instant nasty-duty-only for all of `em. Months later they *still* have wool strands in them :o

Wouldn`t have bothered me much had the MFs in question been my wash mitts, but on towels that get used *dry* the wool cross-contamination was fatal.

Why is the wool cross-contamination fatal? Is it because the wool strands were used for cleaning a dirty car, and therefore dirt/grit possibly entered towels used for polishing? I would imagine that the wool lint would be `cleaned` in the machine, so even if there is wool lint, there`d be no dirt/grit with the lint.

I always wash my wool mitts with my WW drying towel and occasionally with towels used for QDing or applying a sealant, but I guess I should probably rethink it after reading this post.

Accumulator
09-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Why is the wool cross-contamination fatal? Is it because the wool strands were used for cleaning a dirty car, and therefore dirt/grit possibly entered towels used for polishing?

No, it`s not a concern about what might be on the wool, but rather the wool itself.

The same wool that`s nice and soft when wet can be too abrasive when dry.

The MFs in question are used dry, and, given the contamination, rubbing them against the paint could result in marring.

I`m not saying that it absolutely *would* result in marring, and some sheepskin mitts are mighty gentle-feeling when dry, but it`s a risk I`m not gonna take.

Every now and then somebody here CD-tests a sheepskin mitt or a BHB without wetting it first, and the result is usually a marred up CD.

citizen arcane
09-05-2008, 05:10 PM
I throw mine in the washer w/ a tad bit of woolite on delicate and hang to dry in the garage. Lessons learned from ruining a couple of mitts:

Wash w/ other wool mitts - I had one, done by itself, get caught up in the agitator so now I use and wash several together to avoid this.

Don`t let a mitt stay wet and then wash - I left one wet in a bucket for several days until I had another to do a load. I guess the hide got super soft after being left wet and the mitt literally fell apart (much to my wifes chagrin.)

Other than these I haven`t any other ill effects by washing in the machine.

I always wash my wool mitts with my WW drying towel and occasionally with towels used for QDing or applying a sealant, but I guess I should probably rethink it after reading this post.

My routine for washing car cleaning stuff is - cleanest items get washed first in separate batches i.e. wash drying towels first, then polish/waxing towels, moving onto utility mfs and mitts get washed last.