PDA

View Full Version : another wheel brush question

imported_paradigm
08-29-2008, 04:48 PM
so my IS350`s wheels are a HUGE pain in the butt to clean. the rotors leave very little clearance to get inside...none of my numerous brushes come close to fitting in there to help. even a wash mitt on or off my hend barely fits (or doesn`t, depending on the spot). :angry

anyone have recommendations for long, thin brushes? i was even thinking of making one out of an old polishing pad. maybe cut up the pad and glue it all around a wooden handle? :nixweiss not sure if it would last long though. hmmm.

NCZ13
08-29-2008, 05:18 PM
the ez detail brush should fit back there.

Im using the wooden wheel brushes from autogeek, and they work pretty good

TN9thSi
08-29-2008, 05:41 PM
I just picked up the EZ Detail brush from Autogeek. I finally had an opportunity to use it yesterday, and I must say I`m impressed. It`s got a good density of bristles that move easily. The body of the brush is bendable to reach the back side of wheels. There`s a rubber tip to prevent scratching and a rubber guard at the base of the bristles. I highly recommend this brush for intricate and hard to clean wheels.

EZ Detail Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html)

Legacy
08-29-2008, 08:56 PM
I just picked up the EZ Detail brush from Autogeek. I finally had an opportunity to use it yesterday, and I must say I`m impressed. It`s got a good density of bristles that move easily. The body of the brush is bendable to reach the back side of wheels. There`s a rubber tip to prevent scratching and a rubber guard at the base of the bristles. I highly recommend this brush for intricate and hard to clean wheels.

EZ Detail Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/ezdebrfca.html)

+1 on EZ, but you need a wet suit.

MCWD
08-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Sm arnold makes a blue handle narrow brush that I love! Its about as thin as a finger and gets in all the angles...

thesacrifice
08-29-2008, 11:18 PM
can anyone tell me why the swisswax wheel brush is so popular? I commonly see it used to clean wheel faces but it looks very small..why not a bigger version?

BigAl3
08-30-2008, 01:39 AM
i use the megs spoke brush (discontinued but may be available to find them still) on getting inside the barrel of the rims clean, and the EZ detail brush would work as well. type in "meguiars wheel spoke brush" in your google search, and you`ll find some places that still sell/have them (around $6). i would buy a few...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41NA11KWWWL._SS500_.jpg

imported_paradigm
08-30-2008, 06:47 AM
thanks...i`ll check the EZ and Meg`s ones out. i have the wooden handled ones from AG and even the smallest one is still too big. there is barely more room than my hand to get in there, so i`ve had to basically use my fingers to wipe the brake dust away.

so, if the EZ bristles are very flexible and soft, it may fit.

Accumulator
08-30-2008, 11:26 AM
I must be the only person where who isn`t wowed by the EZ Brush :nixweiss I do use mine for some jobs, but it never gets the wheels all that clean (still gotta follow up with something else), it`s too coarse for certain wheels (it`ll micromar the ones on the S8), and it sprays dirty water all over. Still have to reach back there to do the back sides of the spokes anyhow.

For tight areas (the EZ isn`t thin enough for a few of my vehicles), I like the large swabs sold by Danase and others. Danase calls his "foam on a stick".

The smaller sheepskin mitt that Griot`s sells might work, I ended up *really* liking mine (pn 10209).

And actually, do some areas literally by hand can work OK, but I`m always wearing rubber dishwashing gloves when I do that.

can anyone tell me why the swisswax wheel brush is so popular? I commonly see it used to clean wheel faces but it looks very small..why not a bigger version?

I dunno why it`s so popular either :confused: I use a similar one but with *boar`s hair* bristles for around the lugs and valvestem, but I dunno why you`d a) want a little one for the large surfaces, or b) want one with nylon bristles.

Somebody (sorry, forget who it is :o ) is gonna get one and compare it to the BHB version, that`ll be interesting IMO.

mblgjr
08-30-2008, 11:44 AM
I picked up a "small" version of the EZ detail brush at AutoZone the other day.

It`s probably 80% the size of the EZ and only $5!!