PDA

View Full Version : SG, Z2, or ??? for candy-shell look

velobard
08-27-2008, 10:40 PM
Hey guys, I`ve been out of circulation on the forum for awhile. I`m about to tackle my wife`s car for a decent detail job and I`m trying to decide on the best LSP. I have a decent selection on hand and would like to work with what I`ve got, hopefully.

It`s a Chrysler in light cypress green, which my wife likes but I always thought looked like a dirty silver most of the time. I think I`d like to aim for a bright, candy-shell look. My thought is the reflective approach might work better on this car than something with more depth.

I have The Klasse twins, Zaino Z2 (but no ZFX on hand), and a handful of other choices like FP 1000 (I think, it would be a sampler size if it`s still around), Pink Wax, a couple of Colinite waxes, and even Zymol Concours sitting in the bottom of the mini-fridge. Durability matters, I`m too busy these days to be applying new layers every other week, like I`ve had to do with NSX in the past.

Thoughts?

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/velobard/Loogie.jpg

You can see she has a twisted sense of humor about what the color looks like. :p

imported_rydawg
08-28-2008, 12:32 AM
Loogie!!!!!!!! That is hillarious...

steelwind101
08-28-2008, 04:09 AM
AIO>DWG>SG>DWG>SG

If you can can get another product the Danase Wet Glaze will give you that extra wetness for the candy look.

Geoff

velobard
08-28-2008, 06:04 AM
I have a couple of glazes on hand. RM and VM are the ones I usually reach for, but I have the old pink 3M stuff, some FK (what is that number, 300?). That`s all that comes to mind at the moment.

Is DWG that much different? Will it affect the durability of SG much?

Edit: Ouch! $10 shipping for one bottle. Man, shipping is getting to the point where it`s about to kill my desire to order stuff online.

Way2SSlow
08-28-2008, 06:20 AM
For candy shell look, I think AIO followed by a SG is the ticket.

Accumulator
08-28-2008, 10:37 AM
velobard- Howdy :wavey I`ve missed you around here!

I don`t always get that particular look with KSG :think: I suspect some paints/colors lean that way more than others. I think you *would* get it with the Zaino, but...

I`d try the FK1000P. That little sample tin will go a lot farther than you might think and don`t worry if it seems dried out/too hard. I dampen the applicator with FK425. Do a few coats and don`t expect to see the *true* final result until a day or two later.

steelwind101
08-28-2008, 11:56 AM
I have a couple of glazes on hand. RM and VM are the ones I usually reach for, but I have the old pink 3M stuff, some FK (what is that number, 300?). That`s all that comes to mind at the moment.

Is DWG that much different? Will it affect the durability of SG much?

Edit: Ouch! $10 shipping for one bottle. Man, shipping is getting to the point where it`s about to kill my desire to order stuff online.

Hello!

Not all glazes look the same, i want to say that a million times on here! Its like people who say that polishing with machine is the never improved by waxing. I often think, have you tried RMG on that metalic? Yellow Cream Wax on that solid?

Anyways! DWG or the millons of similar variations does look unique. For me it can bring quite a plastic look, faux wet. Not right for everyone, not right for every look. But Candyshell im sure it would be great! Its a bit like a sealant with minimal protection is how i would describe the look. Doesnt improve pearl or met flake all that much, not like RMG.

Really looks good with 2180 from FK.

Geoff

Jesstzn
08-28-2008, 12:01 PM
How will the DWG affect the durability of the SG? Will it bond to it?

KnuckleBuckett
08-28-2008, 03:24 PM
AIO>DWG>SG>DWG>SG

If you can can get another product the Danase Wet Glaze will give you that extra wetness for the candy look.

Geoff

Agreed...but

That candy shell gloss comes almost entirely from proper pre-LSP prep.

Way2SSlow
08-28-2008, 03:29 PM

I don`t always get that particular look with KSG :think: I suspect some paints/colors lean that way more than others. I think you *would* get it with the Zaino, but...

Accumulator has a lot more experience with KSG than I do. I`ve used it a bunch, but only on two very similar in color red cars and my white focus. On my sister`s Camry, it definitely had a "candy shell" look IMO.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d99/breadfan63/Detailing%20pics/DSCN2209.jpg

Edit: That picture was taken when the car was only a few days old, and the only prep work was KAIO.

wannafbody
08-28-2008, 06:33 PM
If you are looking for a clear candy coated look Zaino CS has it in spades. On light metallics it looks as if another layer of clear coat has been added.

Thomas Dekany
08-28-2008, 06:55 PM
This was Optimum polish (OHC)

CG`s Ez Creme Glaze

FK1 #1000

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v215/tdekany/2007/Picture1343.jpg

imported_Dave1
08-28-2008, 06:56 PM
Durability matters, I`m too busy these days to be applying new layers every other week, like I`ve had to do with NSX in the past.

Thoughts?

Then use Z-2p.......

Thomas Dekany
08-28-2008, 07:51 PM
Durability = FK1 #1000

velobard
08-28-2008, 08:53 PM

I`d try the FK1000P. That little sample tin will go a lot farther than you might think and don`t worry if it seems dried out/too hard. I dampen the applicator with FK425. Do a few coats and don`t expect to see the *true* final result until a day or two later.

Hey, someone actually does remember me around here. ;)

I had to do a little digging, but I did locate my little tin of 1000P. Better yet, it`s still nearly full. I know a little paste wax can go a long ways. It`s the 2180 that gets sucked into the paint, at least for the first couple of coats. It`s a bit of a strange experience for anyone who hasn`t used it before.

I realize perfectly well that all glazes are not created equal. I was just rolling around in my head what I could remember that I have on hand. I`m not sure if the oils in RM and VM would create any bonding issues for 1000P. Since I`m also looking forward to building up a few good layers for the coming winter, I`ll probably pass on them for now. The DWG does look interesting since it looks like it would create fewer bonding concerns, but I`ll just go with what I have for now.

My plan of attack is fairly predictable. Wash with ONR, clay, attack the paint with my Metabo and PC with selections from my stash of Menzerna, then a couple layers of LSP. I just finished that with my other car a few days ago, but I decided to use Pink Wax on the dark red paint. This cypress green is more of a challenge for me, probably because I`m not so fond of the color to begin with. Thanks for the tip on the 1000P, I never have experimented with it to speak of, though I know it`s a good product. I`m still pretty fond of FK1`s product line.

For awhile now I`ve been fairly lazy. Most washes have been quick affairs with ONR and Aquawax (ever since my supply of FX-100 ran out). Between work, the frustrations being stuck without a garage, and having kids drive more these days, my Autopian standards have suffered. I`ll admit, I`ve also allowed another, rather expensive hobby, to intrude on my time and budget. However, I`m getting a little tired of looking at dirty cars and I want to bring it back up a notch or two.

I appreciate the help, guys. I do peek in here once in awhile, even though I haven`t been posting much for awhile. If anyone else has some advice, feel free to kick in some ideas. This color is just SO hard to make look good. Here`s one pic that`s probably the best one yet. Of course, the setting doesn`t hurt. ;) It`s not much of a challenge to guess exactly where this was taken.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e222/velobard/dave-vi.jpg

Seeing the weather report for tonight and tomorrow, it might be a few more days before I have a chance to tackle this job. I still miss my garage. :bawling: