PDA

View Full Version : The Official History of Detailing

Holden_C04
08-27-2008, 08:37 PM
My main interest is history. I have books about the Romans, the Greeks, and World War Two and everything in between. I read them, in fact, just about every day. One of my favourites is Gibbon`s The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire (1776).

Despite this love for history and my current profession as a professional detailer, I know almost nothing about its history. Now, of course, I know the obvious stuff:

1) The history of Meguiar`s dating back to 1901.

2) Menzerna dates back to 1888 (what happened between then and now?)

3) Einszett dates back to 1933 (what happened between then and now?)

4) The history of Autopia.org dating back to 2001 (and slightly earlier in a variant form)

Between 1888 and 2008, we really don`t know a heck of a lot compared to other histories like that of nations. So, what I propose, is that we try to codify and verify what has happened between those two dates.

Does anyone have anything to add? Any experience passed down from decades past?

imported_Larry A
08-28-2008, 08:28 AM
I agree with you. I.M.O. if you dont know the history of detailing, you dont know detailing. What did they use to polish the color varnish in the early part of the 20th century? What did they use to shampoo broad cloth seats ? Simoniz came out in 1910, what did they use before that? When they varnished cars they used brushes,how did they use brushes and not leave brush marks ? Did you know that Model T Fords were flow painted. Stuff like this is interesting reading. On a final note they used a product called Rottenstone mixed with water to polish color varnish.

Todd@RUPES
08-28-2008, 10:45 AM
I had started writing a "detailing bible" type book and spent 4 months researching the history of detailing as I thought it would make an interesting opening chapter. Unfortunately it is very hard to find any concrete information with any truth to it, as most of the "history" of detailing is marketing BS...

David Fermani
08-28-2008, 10:53 AM
I think the history of "detailing" parallels the history of the Car Wash industry. It may be easier to go down that road for a search. I wonder what Henry Ford used to buff out his black Model T`s in 1908?

imported_Larry A
08-28-2008, 07:29 PM
I think the history of "detailing" parallels the history of the Car Wash industry. It may be easier to go down that road for a search. I wonder what Henry Ford used to buff out his black Model T`s in 1908?

Model T Fords in 1908 had a semi-gloss black finish.

Old Pirate
08-28-2008, 07:33 PM
With a brush to paint on.....:chuckle:

David Fermani
08-29-2008, 04:24 AM
Model T Fords in 1908 had a semi-gloss black finish.

But like I mentioned, car washing goes hand in hand with detailing. Semi-Gloss or not, it wtill needed to be cleaned. I`d bet detailing branched out and if not from the car wash industry?

Junebug
08-29-2008, 05:51 AM
I did my high school term paper on auto bodywork. I still remember Ms. Strother`s face when she started looking at it, but she did give me a B, grammer got me. The thing I remember about early paint was that it was brushed on and polished with a pumice stone - seems crude by today`s standards. If only my Dad was still living, he was born in 1909 and drove a Model T back in the day.

imported_Larry A
08-29-2008, 07:54 AM
Pumice Stone was only used betweem coats of color varnish. The last coat was clear and was not polished . Like I said how did they brush the last coat of clear and not leave brush strokes ?Pumice stone was used because it was much finer then sand paper. Varnish was not very durable. Furniture polish and oil was used to keep a car shiney. Rottenstone was used to clean the paint. At the time Simonize Paste Wax made the varnish last much longer. At the time Meguiars made furniture polish which was used on the finishes .