PDA

View Full Version : Buying the Porter Cable 7424?

MusicMan
08-26-2008, 01:14 PM
I`ve been doing some research on buying a buffer and of course the Porter Cable 7424 looks to be at least one of the, if not the best. I`ve done some shopping around online and the best deal ive found so far is for $119 and that includes Lake Country 6" hook & loop contour backing pad and 6" counter weight...does this sound like a good deal?

The main reason i want to get it is im trying to fix up my car. its just a 96` taurus but still i want it to look good ya know? I`ve tried to keep it up over the years but of course time will take its tole on anything. It has some scratches...small...on the hood and trunk...and a few up on the roof (some lovely individual hit a golf ball ontop of it a while back). And the color isnt up to what i like it to be...so the PC 7424 sounds like the tool for a buffing noob like myself to try out.

So other than wondering if what i`ve found sounds like a good deal...im wonderin what type of pads i should get, and open to suggestions on cleaners, sealer/glaze, and wax. I`ve used turtle wax for a few yrs but, im starting to see its priced at $3 a bottle for a reason lol...so id like to try something new.

As far as the pads ive read that it may be a good idea to buy a pad 1- 1.5 inches bigger than your backing plate...like a 7.5 inch pad for the 6 inch backing plate, any feed back on that idea? Also im just wondering of any good place to shop online for foam pads...what type to get (brand) and what kind of pads (how strong of a cut i need). I know i`ll need a few but i`d just like some ideas of what to go for.

As far as the product ive been looking at. I was curious as to how Mothers 3 step products would work. 1 being the cleaner...2 being the glaze and 3 being the wax. I dont have a LOT of money to spend and im goin in a little deeper than i hoped to by going for the PC buffer, but it sounds like its worth it.

Hope you guys can help..this is my first post. THANK!