PDA

View Full Version : Paint protection film

MCWD
08-25-2008, 09:52 PM
Anybody make the switch from 3M film to Xpel film? I find the xpel film to be a better quality film and I am wondering if anyone agrees. I only had a few complaints with how they shipped the film from Xpel, but I was able to request the film to be shipped in a plastic bag to prevent elements from getting on the film.:work:

lilraver018
08-29-2008, 12:39 PM
From what i heard is that 3m make some pretty good quality "clear bra". Xpel i also heard make decent quality. But as far as comparison i wouldn`t be able to tell you. I have heard of some 3M clear bras coming out a complete hack job.Where the film was put on and it made the car look completely flat and oxidized.

But i would say it has alot to do with the people installing it and if you keep the clear bra waxed like your paint should last you a long time. I`m estimating around 5-7 years with proper care.

imported_Picus
08-29-2008, 01:29 PM
From what little I know of clear bras (from the guy I recommend to my clients) it matters less which film you use and more about how it is cut (if its custom) or which kit you choose (if its a laser cut kit). I have venture shield on my car and think it looks great; but I`ve seen some VS installs look only ok. Same with 3m, I`ve seen great and terrible.

Are you going to custom cut the film or have it laser cut?

Ron Harris
08-29-2008, 05:37 PM
I think the Xpel film is great. Their top of the line film is nice and flat. Not like the 3M film. I have gone through their training and installed many kits. with Xpel being local for me it`s easy to get the film.

The person who trained me now has his own company and he does all my installs now.

The 3m film looks good on bumpers that have to be really stretched. For hoods, fenders and mirrors you cant go wrong with the Xpel film.

MCWD
08-29-2008, 10:27 PM
I think the Xpel film is great. Their top of the line film is nice and flat. Not like the 3M film. I have gone through their training and installed many kits. with Xpel being local for me it`s easy to get the film.

The person who trained me now has his own company and he does all my installs now.

The 3m film looks good on bumpers that have to be really stretched. For hoods, fenders and mirrors you cant go wrong with the Xpel film.

I find the same to be true with what I have seen... Great points!

MCWD
08-29-2008, 10:28 PM
From what little I know of clear bras (from the guy I recommend to my clients) it matters less which film you use and more about how it is cut (if its custom) or which kit you choose (if its a laser cut kit). I have venture shield on my car and think it looks great; but I`ve seen some VS installs look only ok. Same with 3m, I`ve seen great and terrible.

Are you going to custom cut the film or have it laser cut?

I always do laser. I find it to be a much better install overall. :thx

imported_d00t
08-30-2008, 09:17 AM
Anyone know of a site, or someone who can do a walk through of how to install clear bras? I would like to add this to my business soon..

WilliamP27
08-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I have a dilemma. I made a mistake to not tell my local dealer to not wash my car. They washed my car and did bad job drying it. It left a lot of water stains with maybe what it seems soap or whatever they use to wash cars. So when I got home I was able to wash the car myself and removed all of the water stains (residue) I have a film (clear bra) on the hood of my car and bumper. I can’t seem to remove any water stains.

I was told not use any abrasive or hard-compound waxes and/or polishes.

Can anyone help?

MCWD
08-30-2008, 05:49 PM
I have a dilemma. I made a mistake to not tell my local dealer to not wash my car. They washed my car and did bad job drying it. It left a lot of water stains with maybe what it seems soap or whatever they use to wash cars. So when I got home I was able to wash the car myself and removed all of the water stains (residue) I have a film (clear bra) on the hood of my car and bumper. I can’t seem to remove any water stains.

I was told not use any abrasive or hard-compound waxes and/or polishes.

Can anyone help?

PLEXUS!!! that is the best for cleaning and maintaining the film... Best of luck! Feel free to call me direct with any further questions.:heelclick

MCWD
08-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Anyone know of a site, or someone who can do a walk through of how to install clear bras? I would like to add this to my business soon..

I don`t mean to sound negative, but you really should go and learn hands on. There are tons of examples I could give you, but I don`t need to write a book. Long story short, this film is not cheap and practicing can be costly. Just the amount of film I ran through when learning was as much as it cost for the course and it was included. You will learn the right way and be a much more effective installer. Got to xpel.com and register for a course, you won`t regret it. I can`t tell you the amount of calls I get just because I am a certified installer, and it gives your customers piece of mind. Feel free to msg me with more questions, or pm me.. :xyxthumbs

Ron Harris
08-31-2008, 08:49 AM

You really need training. Even after the training is done expect to burn a few kits making mistakes when installing. Although the new xpel film is a little forgiving you can almost crumple it inop a ball and still get a decent install out of it.

Take the advice of MCWD. Get some training!

MCWD
08-31-2008, 06:37 PM
You really need training. Even after the training is done expect to burn a few kits making mistakes when installing. Although the new xpel film is a little forgiving you can almost crumple it inop a ball and still get a decent install out of it.

Take the advice of MCWD. Get some training!

:2thumbs: Thanks for the props!