PDA

View Full Version : Dawn soap, why!?!?

Pages : [1] 2

quixotic
08-25-2008, 01:50 PM
Why would you ever use Dawn soap to wash your car, especially when clay barring, polishing, waxing?

It seems to me that using Dawn soap is not nearly as effective at keep dust away from your paint as a specific car wash solution. So, why risk it? Clay bar + polish will strip any wax you hope to remove with Dawn.

What are the pros/cons?

Thomas Dekany
08-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Well, for one, dawn suds alot. (me like)

I think this topic has been talked about enough. You can do a search. If you don`t like dawn to initially wash your car with: DON"T.

there arew no risks.

Some are for it some are against it.

Either way, the paint will be fine.

The anti static property of a car soap is new to me.

FYI, no one recommends using Dawn to maintain the paint.

blucpe
08-25-2008, 02:08 PM
that`s a good point. yes if you`re gonna polish then you would be stripping everything from the paint. my guess would if your paint is pretty much swirl free and you did`nt want to polish the paint but strip it of everthing say to try a new wax or glaze or both and get the full effect of those products then you could do a dawn wash and get the paint stripped of all prducts. this is just a guess on my part anyone out there with a more detailed approach to this question please chime in. hope this helped.

JamRWS6
08-25-2008, 02:41 PM
I use Dawn for wheels. Cuts through brake dust well.

Heathenbrewing
08-25-2008, 03:02 PM

x2. Well, I dont use Dawn, but I do 2nd that dishwashing soap works great on wheels. I usually spary down the tire/wheel and agitate w/ a paint bush as this ensures all the nooks and crannies come out spotless!

quixotic
08-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Well, for one, dawn suds alot. (me like)

I think this topic has been talked about enough. You can do a search. If you don`t like dawn to initially wash your car with: DON"T.

I WON"T.

BTW, I did search because I figured I would find the answer, but I didn`t see there was a title only search, so initially I was looking through a ton of pages for something in the title. Obviously, I didn`t find it.

Next time you want to condemn someone for not searching, how about trying to be constructive... because most likely the person searched but didn`t find it, or doesn`t know how to use advanced search properly... telling them to search doesn`t help, it just makes me think you are a jerk

quixotic
08-25-2008, 04:04 PM

Interesting. I might give this a shot. Thanks!

Bert
08-25-2008, 04:47 PM
BTW, I did search because I figured I would find the answer, but I didn`t see there was a title only search, so initially I was looking through a ton of pages for something in the title. Obviously, I didn`t find it.

Next time you want to condemn someone for not searching, how about trying to be constructive... because most likely the person searched but didn`t find it, or doesn`t know how to use advanced search properly... telling them to search doesn`t help,

I just went up and clicked on the Search pull down menu and selected Advanced Search. I then put "dawn" in the Key Word(s): line and then below that line, I selected Search Titles Only in the pull down and then hit Search Now. I received 147 threads with dawn in their title, including the one you just started. Here is a link. Autopia.org - Search Results (http://www.autopia.org/forum/search.php?searchid=2568005)

it just makes me think you are a jerk

I think a newb with just 6 posts should be careful calling anyone on this board a jerk, especially someone who is as respected as tdekany is here.

Legacy
08-25-2008, 05:02 PM
I don`t believe that a wash down with Dawn can strip some sealants. I would rather wash with auto soap, clay, prep sol, polish, prep sol, seal, wax.

Legacy
08-25-2008, 05:09 PM

I agree with bert31, I don`t think that the statement that tdekany made above is justified in you calling him a jerk. An apology is in order or get off the board.

Thomas Dekany
08-25-2008, 05:12 PM
I WON"T.

Next time you want to condemn someone for not searching, how about trying to be constructive... because most likely the person searched but didn`t find it, or doesn`t know how to use advanced search properly... telling them to search doesn`t help, it just makes me think you are a jerk

I should have known that you had PMS. :D:D:D:D

1 - I was being helpful even though to me your post made zero sense. Why start a thread over something you don`t want to do? You didn`t sound confused, you knew that dawn was "bad". Why ask about it in the first place?

2 - didn`t you read the rest of my reply?

there are no risks.

Some are for it some are against it.

Either way, the paint will be fine.

The anti static property of a car soap is new to me.

FYI, no one recommends using Dawn to maintain the paint.

3 - I am not 100% sure that I am a jerk in general, but I don`t think that my reply to you would warrant it. Simply because I suggested that you SEARCH?:xyxthumbs:xyxthumbs:xyxthumbs:xyxthumbs - I`ve even given you the pros/cons!

One day maybe I can be just like you.

imported_weekendwarrior
08-25-2008, 05:13 PM
I polished a car a while back and waxed it with Collinite 845 - pretty durable stuff. My client called me today, and said his wife washed the car over the weekend with Dawn while he was at work. This guy inspects his car regularly, and said he noticed it has 0 slickness to it since the Dawn wash.

Thomas Dekany
08-25-2008, 05:16 PM
I polished a car a while back and waxed it with Collinite 845 - pretty durable stuff. My client called me today, and said his wife washed the car over the weekend with Dawn while he was at work. This guy inspects his car regularly, and said he noticed it has 0 slickness to it since the Dawn wash.

I wonder what mitt she used to wash the car with!!!

imported_weekendwarrior
08-25-2008, 05:21 PM
I wonder what mitt she used to wash the car with!!!

Don`t know, but I am anxious to see the car in person, to feel it myself.

imported_cushdrive
08-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Don`t knock it until you try it Rob. It leaves the finish much different than your standard car wash, which has been formulated NOT to remove your wax....or at least keep it to a minimum. Do the bag trick after a standard wash and then again after a Dawn wash.....after the Dawn wash, the bag will grab a lot more. I carried over the habit of washing with Dawn from when I used to wax as soon as I finished washing (without using clay) which, btw DOES NOT REMOVE WAX 100%. Polishing WILL remove the rest of the wax, but some polish/pad combinations do not play well with LSPs when using a rotary. This is why I continue to do use the Dawn. You don`t have to worry about that because you`re using a PC. The way I look at it is....it`s not going to hurt, so why fight it? If you don`t have some Dawn around the house, then I certainly wouldn`t go and buy it, but if you do, then just use it. Even a newbie will be able to tell a difference.