PDA

View Full Version : Mother`s vs Meguiar`s

orsmith
09-08-2005, 10:24 PM
hello everyone...i was in pep boys today i and saw the 3 step method from both manufacturers:paint cleaner
glaze or seal
wax(carnuba)
Which manufacturer tends to be better
Meg`s had the liquid carnuba for 4.99 and no paste
And mother`s had the liquid carnuba for 5.99 and the paste for 16.99

And if i use the paint cleaner would i have to still clay
By the way they had the Mother`s clay for 16.99(is that a good price)

Sherman8r44
09-08-2005, 10:53 PM
I`ve never used the Meguiar`s system, but the Mother`s is all I`ve used. The clay is great, if small, and the pre-wax cleaner is rather weak. I was wondering the same question, as per the whole cleaner/clay thing, but I realized that they each perform different functions and to have the best prep you should do both. 17 is average for Mother`s clay--you can get a bigger bar w/o lube for $10 at autogeek.net.
The sealer/glaze is excellent for bringing out a real wet look and the carnauba (I use the liquid) is icing on the cake. However, the sealer and the wax both dust up quite a bit and are not the easiest to remove. I am currently looking to step up to Poorboy`s, and I think you probably should too. With thier Polish-with-Carnauba and Natty`s Paste Wax, you would have a combo that would outlast and outshine all three phases (at least that`s what everyone else says). Plus it would take less steps and be easier to apply. They`re $13 each at Autogeek.net, plus you can get a 10% discount with the coupon "detailcity". So at 23.50 plus shipping, it is comparable to the 17(for Paste wax)+6(for S/G)+5(for cleaner) from Pepboy`s.

Hope that helps...

fatchance
09-08-2005, 11:17 PM
If you`ve got a PC then this would be my process:

wash
Mothers Clay Bar w/ Showtimw lube
wash
Mothers Power Polish step 1
Mothers Refelction Wax
Mothers Relection Top Coat

This will give you an unbelievable finish and look.

Miami_Sunset
09-09-2005, 12:07 AM
:canadian: :gun_banda :canadian: If i were to compare both in general i would say that Meguiar`s would win by millions of votes.
i would not doubt it if meguiars copies mothers to brings out a power ball to use on polish,chrome. :goodluck:

Big Leegr
09-09-2005, 01:08 AM
I find that Mothers Glaze gives a more noticeable difference than Megs DC2 polish. May be just me, though.
Both systems are made to be used in the shade. The warmer the paint, the harder they are to remove. (Also, watch the trim! :eek: )
Most people find a can of paste wax to last longer than a bottle of liquid wax, but that is dependent on how they are applied. Remember-thinner is better.
I have found that the Meg`s line (in general) tends to darken paint a bit. The Mothers carnauba wax tends to make the color show true, but with shine.
If you were wanting to get 3 steps as cheaply as possible, Meg`s is the way to go.
Neither system will remove swirls, though. (But the Mothers system will hide them better, IMO.)
Another LSP to consider would be Mothers FX synwax. WAY easy application and removal. It does have some polishing ability, though, so you probably wouldn`t bother with the glaze, since much of it would be polished off.

As to the clay vs. paint cleaner, clay is intended to remove bonded/embedded contaminants, such as rail dust. Paint cleaner is used to remove oxidation. (or cob webbing, if it is a strong enough abrasive-which neither system`s paint cleaners are.) They clay should give you a smooth surface, the paint cleaner sets up the surface for waxing.

tubafeak
09-09-2005, 05:53 AM
i would not doubt it if meguiars copies mothers to brings out a power ball to use on polish,chrome. :goodluck:
Meguiars would, of course be copying Flitz as well. They had power balls several years before Mothers came out with one, Mothers copied those (they probably just bought from the same supplier).

Bob
09-09-2005, 07:43 AM
I vote Mothers by a looong shot. I have always had good results with Mothers in the past and not so great results with Meguiar`s.

Larry A
09-09-2005, 09:51 AM
Its a personal preference both Meguiars and Mothers are top notch products, you cant go wrong with either.

Rolex
09-09-2005, 10:13 AM
Meguiars would, of course be copying Flitz as well. They had power balls several years before Mothers came out with one, Mothers copied those (they probably just bought from the same supplier).
Flitz uses felt while the Mothers uses closed cell foam. As to the same supplier I doubt it, for the construction is totally different.

orsmith
09-09-2005, 08:19 PM
thanks for all the info and replies...i just wanted to use good products and techniques for when i do my first wax job

Mr. Clean
09-11-2005, 08:58 PM
thanks for all the info and replies...i just wanted to use good products and techniques for when i do my first wax job

Don`t take this the wrong way, but at some point you can stop with the (repetitive) questions and make a choice ie. get off the sidelines and get into the game. It is a whole lot more fun and rewarding. Meguiar`s or Mothers, or any of the products availabe from the online vendors -- all have some nice products. The results from using them are only as good as the detailer`s technique. Asking "which is better" is not going to give you the practical experience you need to get the results you want. This is not a hobby (or profession) where you are going to get better just by reading about it. Doing that thing we do :biggrin: is where you want to be.

Now go out buy some product and get to it, and then tell us what you used, how you used it and what went right and/or wrong. If you are like most on this board, you won`t have only a single mfg`s product in your kit anyway.