PDA

View Full Version : Reccomended wait time for polishing or sealing a repaint

imported_RedlineIRL
08-22-2008, 09:34 PM
I have a friend that wants me to detail his car that had the front bumper and hood repainted almost 4 months ago. I`ve heard that is best to wait at least 3 months befopre applying any kind of waxes, but is that really true and would it be best to wait longer? How can I tell it has fully cured and outgassed? His car sits outside 24/7 and it`s been a warm summer, so it seems like it would be good to me. I just want to get some opinions on what you all think I should do. I would really hate to have something happen to the finish due to not waiting longer if necessary.

Scottwax
08-22-2008, 09:52 PM
After 4 months you should be more than fine.

Most bodyshops tell you to wait 30-90 days and since they are the ones providing a warranty, it is best to go with their recommendation.

pampos
08-22-2008, 10:22 PM
After 4 months you should be more than fine.

Most bodyshops tell you to wait 30-90 days and since they are the ones providing a warranty, it is best to go with their recommendation.

does this period of 30-90 days depends on how hot is the weather?Because i am going to repaint my car too next week and i also would like to know.On Cyprus we have every day sunlight with about 30-38 C degrees..

Accumulator
08-23-2008, 11:47 AM
does this period of 30-90 days depends on how hot is the weather?..

Maybe a little, but I`d always wait at least 90 days myself. I`ve experience outgassing for over four *months* before, and that was with baked paint.