PDA

View Full Version : Have you tried 3M Trizact 02066 6" P1000?

maesal
08-22-2008, 08:35 AM
Hello !!

I`m trying some sanding paper/disks (Meguiars, Mirka, Festool, 3M) wich I`m using to remove the orange peel from my car, wich has been resprayed (some panels) with CeramiClear as clearcoat. Nowadays I`m using 3M 1500 sanding disk (drysanding) by PC, then 3M Trizact 6" P3000 and I`m removing around the 90 % but I think I have to try better sanding disks for the first stage.

Do you have experience with this Trizact P1000?

qwertydude
08-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Wow I`d be careful sanding with a machine, you should onlu wetsand by hand. You could easily eat right through the clear.

94nitemare
08-22-2008, 10:39 AM
I love using the 2069 6" p1500 wet to remove texture

maesal
08-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Wow I`d be careful sanding with a machine, you should onlu wetsand by hand. You could easily eat right through the clear.

No problem, I`m measuring the clearcoat thickness with a PTG. In some panels I reduced around 15-20 microns to achieve nice results.

ABQDetailer
08-23-2008, 01:29 AM
I use Mirka Abralon via 3/32" DA air sander. I`ve used 1000, 2000, and 4000 all wet sanding. IMHO the 1000 doesn`t have enough cut to remove OP in a timely fashion and my clear is really soft. I was actually quite dissaponited that it seemed to take longer than using 3M 1000 grit by hand...granted it`s less elbow grease. I`ve contemplated giving the 500 grit a go on my car since I`m about to reclear the whole car anyways. The 2000 and 4000 finish out so nice though! It really saves time on your compounding step IMHO.

I`ve also used Indasa foam backed 1200 grit (Dry) and it seems to gum up the paper really fast which is quite annoying. Pretty much a waste of time IMHO. I`ve also tried the Indasa 3" redline (dry) in 1000, 1500, and 2000 and had the same problem with the paper gumming up.

Also I use soft interface pads for the 3" and the 6" papers.

The Abralon is really great stuff and it lasts a pretty long time.

I`ve yet to try 3M products as I haven`t found a cheap source yet and TBH I`ve got way too much abrasives right now. The 3M Trizact system really looks solid though and I know their compound and the UFSE are both excellent products (both are included with the kit). The 3M kit includes P1200 and P3000 6" sanding disks. I really wish I would have found the 3M Trizact kit before I purchased all of the products and abrasives I`ve bought as it would have saved me a ton of cash. Live and learn...

Lastly I just want to give you a fair warning as 90% is a pretty good result. If you seek perfection then by all means go for it but I`ve had a 90% panel that I wanted 100% and sanded off too much of the clear. I dont` really care since I just resprayed the panel but most people don`t want to do that. You have a PTG so you should be good to go. I don`t even use a PTG (yet) but I don`t really care since it`s my car and I`m just learning anyways. Obviously I wouldn`t be doing this on a customer car or even a friends car without a PTG...

If you use the 3M 1000 or 1200 let us know the outcome as I`m still searching for a solid OP cutting method. My wetsanding finishing method works great via the 2000/4000 but like I said before the 1000 didn`t cut as fast as I wanted it to (or expected it to).

maesal
08-23-2008, 07:40 AM
I used a lot the Abralon system and it`s nice, but I prefer 3M Hookit 1500 150 mm via PC with a soft interface, it removes the OP much better IMHO. But for 1 panel I use around 3 disks. Then I normally use 3M Trizact 3000, and 1 disk lasts and lasts and gives nice results. I was looking also for Micro-Mesh 150 mm disks but I don`t know where I could find a supplier that send this disks to Spain.

Thanks for your opinion ABQDetailer !!

maesal
08-29-2008, 12:31 AM
I compared yesterday Trizact P1000 and Hookit 1500 for removing the OP in my car I much prefer the Hookit 1500.

porta
08-29-2008, 08:01 AM
Mario, have a look at Siashine

sia Abrasives - Your Key to a Perfect Surface :: abrasive rolls, sanding sheet, sanding belt, abrasive strip, foam abrasives, sanding pads, sanding wheels, sanding discs, sanding fibre discs, sanding flap discs, sanding flap disc, abrasive belt, abra (http://www.sia-abrasives.com/industries/en/awb_automotive_%20siacarat_velvet_automotive.php)

They have a lot of products and I think they are avaible in Spain.

Give them a call or send them a email.

maesal
08-29-2008, 08:24 AM
Hey Porta !!

Thanks for the info mate. What sanding disks do you recommend me?

Heywood_28
01-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Have you tried Farecla abrasives and compounds? Their 1500 abrasive is much more superior to 3M. Also doesn`t clog!!!!

Cyclopsblown34
02-18-2009, 08:30 AM
I use the 3M triact/Hookit II system of abrasives and am very pleased with it. I use them flooded with an air powered DA though. I`ve been told you can get good results with an electric and a spray bottle but I haven`t tried that yet. On the Trizact 3000 pads, I usually use three pads per vehicle. I try not to skimp on abrasives, fresh sharp abrasives always cut quicker and cleaner than worn out abrasive pads. Right now I have nothing to show because my two paint projects are both in primer. One will be flat finish and the other high polished.