PDA

View Full Version : Which to layer over Opti-Seal for the ultimate lasting protection?

Pages : [1] 2

BuffMe
08-21-2008, 09:56 PM
I am doing a new vehicle prep for a car I just bought. It`s an `08 VW with the Platinum Grey Metallic paint. I`m going for longest possible lasting protection on this for the coming fall and winter months. I know Opti-Seal is one of the longer lasting sealants, so I applied that tonight and am letting it cure overnight. However, I`m unsure what to put on top.

Out of the following, which would you pick:

Meguiar`s #21 v2.0

Meguiar`s #26

DG #105

Collinite 845 IW

OR, I could just go with something like DG Aquawax or the Optimum Spray Wax that I recently picked up. I usually do AW over #21 whenever I go that route, so that`s an option as well.

thesacrifice
08-22-2008, 12:06 AM
collinite

though AW once a month will certaintly take you right thru the winter with no problems

nooboob
08-22-2008, 12:07 AM
I thought you were supposed to be DONE with everything after you apply the Opti-Seal....

thesacrifice
08-22-2008, 12:16 AM
some people.... are never done

BuffMe
08-22-2008, 12:23 AM
I thought you were supposed to be DONE with everything after you apply the Opti-Seal....

:rofl

Not I (nor most people on here).

:welcome to Autopia

nooboob
08-22-2008, 02:05 AM
LOL... still learning guys... But I was just reading about how people were choosing BETWEEN wax v.s. sealing.

I didn`t know you could do both... isn`t that just overkill or counterproductive?

Heres what I was reading: How to Wax Your Car for a showroom shine (http://www.paintcare-n-detailing.com/wax.html)

Driven Auto Detail
08-22-2008, 06:15 AM
You can top a sealant with a nuba, but typically not the other way around.

As for the OP`s question, go with Collinite for sure. You can use OCW or AW after washing which will help even more.

wannafbody
08-22-2008, 06:55 AM
Top OS with OCW, AW, Z8 or a high end wax.

tom p.
08-22-2008, 07:07 AM
some people.... are never done

Man, that truly is prophetic around this place!

I`ll watch this thread with much interest. I`ve got a bottle of Opti_Seal touching down this afternoon and am looking forward to trying it :)

Eisen Hulk
08-22-2008, 07:17 AM
^^^^

Tom, I think you`ll really like Opti-Seal. I`m a very big fan of it, and now I`ll finally be able to try it over Poli-Seal (Just got a bottle yesterday). I really like OS on silver, even though it can darken the color just a bit.

dervdave
08-22-2008, 07:57 AM
4*upp looks well on top

Driven Auto Detail
08-22-2008, 08:17 AM
^^^^

Tom, I think you`ll really like Opti-Seal. I`m a very big fan of it, and now I`ll finally be able to try it over Poli-Seal (Just got a bottle yesterday). I really like OS on silver, even though it can darken the color just a bit.

OS is fantastic over PS. Both products work very well together. And I agree that OS looks great on silver especially.

thesacrifice
08-22-2008, 08:22 AM
Another +1 for OS over PS, especially on darker colors.

pwaug
08-22-2008, 08:41 AM
I have an 07 Passat and have had good luck using one coat ZAIO (similar to PoliSeal), 2 coats of ZFX (same type product as Opti-Seal) and then OCW once a month. This gets me through New England winters from November till April--great beading and slickness. Once my Zaino products are gone I`ll switch to Poli Seal and Opti Seal. I think you`d be fine with a coat of PoliSeal, couple of coats of OptiSeal and OCW or AW whenever the temps are above freezing. And hand wash with ONR.

miahman98
08-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Hey pwaug, I don’t think you are getting any benefits from your 2 coats of ZFX. Its not the same product as Opti-Seal. ZFX is a cure accelerator additive to be added to the likes of Z-2 pro and Z-5 pro for example. Opti-Seal is not an additive but a wipe on walk away sealant.