PDA

View Full Version : Does claying remove wax?

flat4
08-21-2008, 07:49 AM
Hello, i`m new and I just want to say awesome forum, i`ve learned alot as i`ve been reading. Anyway, my question is, does claying remove wax if i just waxed my car two days ago? i have a 2001 Subaru Outback in dire need of a good clay and polish, this is the first time i will be claying and polishing it since i have really gotten into detailing in the first few months. Also, if it doesn`t, what is something that would but wouldn`t hurt the paint? Thanks in advance.

~Alex

jfelbab
08-21-2008, 08:00 AM
Claying usually removes much of the wax and polishing will remove any that remains.

Bert
08-21-2008, 08:01 AM
Hello, i`m new and I just want to say awesome forum, i`ve learned alot as i`ve been reading. Anyway, my question is, does claying remove wax if i just waxed my car two days ago? i have a 2001 Subaru Outback in dire need of a good clay and polish, this is the first time i will be claying and polishing it since i have really gotten into detailing in the first few months. Also, if it doesn`t, what is something that would but wouldn`t hurt the paint? Thanks in advance.

~Alex

Claying may remove wax depending on how aggressive the wax is, polishing WILL remove wax. In the future, I would recommend waxing after you have your claying, polishing, paint cleaning, etc. finished. Otherwise, you are just going to have to reapply your wax.

Bert
08-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Claying usually removes much of the wax and polishing will remove any that remains.

You beat me by one minute.:lol

flat4
08-21-2008, 11:47 AM
thanks for the replies! I got all the detailing stuff i needed today. I know waxing should be done on top of claying and polishing but this is the first time i plan to clay and polish and the wax was just from a prior regular wash.

Legacy
08-21-2008, 01:52 PM
Before polishing and after claying I always use prep sol to clean the paint. I usually have at least 4-5 coats of wax and dont want it to gum up my polishing pad. After polishing I do another prep sol wipe down to remove any oils left behind by the Menz.

anarchistchiken
08-21-2008, 04:50 PM
Is there any benefit to be had by using polish, clay, then polish again?

Legacy
08-21-2008, 08:37 PM
No, if they are contaminates on the paint and you polish you would be scratching your paint. Always clay before polishing unless you paint is free of contaminates.