PDA

View Full Version : Paint Chip Repair Problem

ajnavo61490
08-18-2008, 05:36 PM
I recently touched up a scrape my brother made on his honda bumper. I then wetsanded and polished to get it pretty damn smooth. The touch-up paint however is a little lighter color than the origional paint on his car. Idk why this is because I got the paint from the Honda Dealership...

:cry:

Legacy
08-18-2008, 05:48 PM
This happens a lot. Sometimes the original bumper doesnt even match the body paint. You may have to go to a auto paint shop to get as close as possible.

imported_dazzerjp
08-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Also. try applying a coat of clear.

Mindflux
08-18-2008, 07:43 PM

ding ding ding WINNER.

BigAl3
08-18-2008, 07:48 PM
most of the time the touch-up paint from the dealership doesn`t match, due to it`s thicker concentration as opposed to it being thinner/spread out when it`s sprayed on. i bought some touch-up paint from the honda dealership and it was rubbish, and i used the touch-up paint pen from autovisuals.com instead, with better results and closer paint match...

ajnavo61490
08-19-2008, 04:46 AM

would the spray can clear coat (polyurethane) work?

Flashtime
08-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Actually, for any vehicle color there are variations according to where it

was made. So, for any given paint code, there could be as much as 6+

variations of the same color. And even with the "best" variant formula,

adjustments have to be made by the painter at a bodyshop if the car is

in for repair and/or refinishing. And the paint type used at a shop is not

the same as the original factory finish. And those little touch-up kits from

the dealers are of a different type as well. They`re a non catalyzed lacquer

paint that merely drys and is not durable. Not permanent.

Flashtime
08-21-2008, 07:35 PM
would the spray can clear coat (polyurethane) work?

Not well. Avoid rattle cans for vehicles.

This happens a lot. Sometimes the original bumper doesnt even match the body paint. You may have to go to a auto paint shop to get as close as possible.

Durring manufacturing, bumper covers are painted seperately from the vehicle.

And the process isn`t the same either.

archebald23
01-28-2010, 05:58 PM
yes, this happens a lot, the hardest thing to do is match up a flat colored bumper to a shiny body panel. I did a paint job before and it took me forever to match up those shiny spot on my ford bumpers.

daviddrift
02-01-2010, 11:21 PM
i suggest bring it to your local auto shop, painting jobs are extremely difficult, youll end up with a different colored bumper when you are done. archie can you post a pic of your ford bumpers (http://www.speedycarparts.com/bumper_cover.html)?