PDA

View Full Version : Painted on "Pin Stripe", how to remove?

imported_dfw
08-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Any of you guys have your pin stripes painted on from the dealer? I always thought mine was a sticker, so today I went to go remove them and it wouldn`t budge at all.

Anyways, how should I go about removing it without messing up my paint?

qwertydude
08-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Paint thinner or mineral spirits usually work. Unless they applied a urethane then it`s pretty much time to wetsand.

tom p.
08-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Cautious use of oven cleaner applied with Qtips works pretty well ;)

colonel
08-18-2008, 03:04 PM
I used a product many years ago to remove painted stripes. It is made for the model car builder and called EasyLiftOff, I do not know if it is still available. I think it was made or sold by PollyS. Follow the instructions carefully as it is designed to remove one layer at a time but misuse can take it all off. It also removes waterslide decals from painted surfaces.

milabfocker
08-18-2008, 05:26 PM
I recently removed a pin striping from my vehicle. I took it to a body shop if it could be removed; the owner came out with a product called B`Gone. He rubbed the stripe with this solvent and a terry towel and it cut through the stripe. He then gave me some B`Gone free of charge and told me I would just have to rub it out. He indicated the product is safe provided you don`t use an excessive amount and wipe any residual product off after its done its job. It took a lot of elbow grease; however, this process completely removed the striping. You will likely have to cut and polish the rubbed areas afterwards because there will probably be some slight marring consequent of the procedure. If you can feel the striping above the surface of the surrounding finish, this process will work; otherwise, the striping is under the clear and is going anywhere without refinishing. You should be able to locate this product or something comparable at any local automotive refinishing supplier. Hope this helps.