PDA

View Full Version : PC 7424 - wrong counterweight??

michele3873
08-15-2008, 04:17 PM
I just ordered the PC 7424 online. It was supposed to come with a 6" counterweight and a 6" Lake Country backplate. Well, they shipped me the 6" backplate but not the 6" counterweight. I wanted to detail my car this weekend. Do you think it would be ok to use the 5" counterweight with the 6" backplate? :nono

What is going to be the problem with the 5" counterweight? Vibration issues? I don`t want to mess up my car paint, so if you say don`t use it....I guess I will just have to wait until next weekend.:sadpace:

Legacy
08-15-2008, 05:08 PM
Go ahead and use the 5" cw, it wont make any difference. I would get the 5.5" pads or the 4" for more correction on the pc.

nooboob
08-15-2008, 05:32 PM
from what I`ve read, counter-weight is just a luxury.

BigAl3
08-15-2008, 09:34 PM
don`t worry about the counterweight, just make sure to use the right backing plate with the corresponding pad(s)...

ShanesG
08-22-2008, 12:56 PM
so if im going to use 4" pads is fine that i keep the 6" counterweight one, or should i put the 5" one that came with it on?

nooboob
08-22-2008, 03:50 PM
im wondering the same thing.. because the counterweight it comes with says, "USE 5 INCH PAD ONLY".

Legacy
08-22-2008, 04:02 PM
im wondering the same thing.. because the counterweight it comes with says, "USE 5 INCH PAD ONLY".

It wont matter. I use 5" and 3.5" backing plates with the same counterweight.

Accumulator
08-23-2008, 11:45 AM
so if im going to use 4" pads is fine that i keep the 6" counterweight one, or should i put the 5" one that came with it on?

I prefer the 6" counterweight with *all* sizes of pads, even 3.5" ones. I`ve been using my PCs this way for years with no problems. Note that *any* size of foam pad, wet with product, will weigh a lot more than a single sheet of sandpaper, and that`s what the counterweights are designed for.

Eliot Ness
08-23-2008, 12:10 PM
............Do you think it would be ok to use the 5" counterweight with the 6" backplate?...........

..........What is going to be the problem with the 5" counterweight? Vibration issues?..............The only issue you might have is with a little more vibration but you`ll be fine using it with the current counterweight. Later you can order a 6" counterweight (http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=37933) for about $3.00 and see if it makes any difference....... some say it does and some say it doesn`t. I run a 5" CW in my PC and have never had a vibration issue.

Below is an old thread you might find interesting:

The Dual Action Counterweight `Controversy` - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online (http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3330)

Later you`ll most likely want to pick up a 3.5" BP (backing plate) and some 4" pads so corrections will go a lot faster.
from what I`ve read, counter-weight is just a luxury.It`s not really a luxury since the CW is what holds the spindle/bearing assembly in place.