PDA

View Full Version : Leather brush?

Pages : [1] 2

Evenflow
08-15-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey all,

I usually clean my leather with dedicated cleaner/terry towel. But the terry towel usually grabs at the leather because of the product. What is everyone using to clean their leather?

I am picking up Leatherique, and am thinking about picking up a boar hair brush as well instead of using at terry towel.

imported_beachwolverine
08-15-2008, 12:17 PM
IIRC, I believe a brush came with my Leatherique kit. I understand the reason for boar`s hair on paint, but it seems like overkill on leather to me.

David Fermani
08-15-2008, 12:52 PM
I use a horse hair brush made for leather. Firm yet delicate.

Accumulator
08-16-2008, 12:23 PM

Once again, David and I use the same approach :D

Yeah, the brush I use for leather is considerably firmer/different from the BHBs I use on paint. IIRC I got mine from Griot`s, which is the simple but expensive way to buy such things. Brushes used for this job last forever though, so you wouldn`t need a new one for well over a decade (mine`s older than that and still like new; the horsehair brushes I use on leather footwear are over *50* years old and will be good for another few generations of users- good brushes for this just don`t wear out).

I do use a cut-down, paintbrush-style BHB for some tight spots and areas that need more aggressive scrubbing. Shortening the bristels (and cutting off the gentle, flagged tips) made this BHB *much* stiffer than BHBs usually are...gotta be a little careful on the upholstery`s stitching though.

imported_advs1
08-16-2008, 12:34 PM

i`m going to go shave my wifes horse, hehehe probably get like 10 brushes

David Fermani
08-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Once again, David and I use the same approach :D

Yeah, the brush I use for leather is considerably firmer/different from the BHBs I use on paint. IIRC I got mine from Griot`s, which is the simple but expensive way to buy such things. Brushes used for this job last forever though, so you wouldn`t need a new one for well over a decade (mine`s older than that and still like new; the horsehair brushes I use on leather footwear are over *50* years old and will be good for another few generations of users- good brushes for this just don`t wear out).

We keep running into things we do the same. :lol

I`ve had my brush for about 10 years too. It`s just like the day I bought it. Does yours have a white handle like this one:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll128/protecht561/3MPerfectItRubbingCompound028.jpg

imported_sal329
08-16-2008, 03:55 PM
David where did you get those brushes?

Quality Leather
08-16-2008, 07:18 PM
I use a 3M delicate duty scuff pad. I was in Target yesterday and they sell them as well as the grocery store.

Evenflow
08-16-2008, 08:08 PM
I use a 3M delicate duty scuff pad. I was in Target yesterday and they sell them as well as the grocery store.

No targets around these area. Any other place sell them? How would that work with Leatherique? Coat the scuff pad with product and clean?

imported_sal329
08-16-2008, 11:59 PM

Not to be a jerk but you say you use the 3M pad? I always read you referring people to thee pads but then you also mentioned you have never used these pads in another post and that you get your pads from a janitorial supplier?

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/109598-best-leather-cleaner-conditioner-leatherique.html

Accumulator
08-17-2008, 09:29 AM
.. Does [your leather brush] have a white handle like this..

Nah, mine is a little palm-sized rectangular thing with a beige plastic handle, not a good sized head-plus-handle design like yours.

Bigpoppa3346
08-17-2008, 09:42 AM
Right now I`m using a Swissvax leather brush. It is, like most Swissvax products, overpriced, $10 and the thing is 4 and 3/4" long by 1 and 1/2" wide (which I guess is a good size for nooks and crannys, although I was expecting something more substantial looking). The bristles (sp?) are fraying after only a few months of use, but it works well, did a nice job on dirty Bentley leather yesterday combined with Woolite/water at 8:1.

Quality Leather
08-17-2008, 02:51 PM
No targets around these area. Any other place sell them? How would that work with Leatherique? Coat the scuff pad with product and clean?

Ummm, how about a grocery store?

I just spray my cleaner on the leather and start scrubbing. Wipe with a clean towel.

Quality Leather
08-17-2008, 03:07 PM
Not to be a jerk but you say you use the 3M pad? I always read you referring people to thee pads but then you also mentioned you have never used these pads in another post and that you get your pads from a janitorial supplier?

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-product-discussion/109598-best-leather-cleaner-conditioner-leatherique.html

Well, I wouldn`t take offense if you would have quoted me correctly. Here is what I said:

I believe that is it. I see them at the grocery store and they are marked delicate duty. I usually just look for the white pad. I actually don`t use 3m pads. I found some pads at a local janitorial supply house. I use the ones in this pic on this website http://williamssupplycompany.com/floormaintenance.htm. They are nice and thick. I cut them into like 2 inch squares. A box of five pads costs around $7 and lasts me a long time. I have found that these get into the grain better and lift out the dirt and grime better than anything else. Sometimes you will damage the finish on furniture, so it is best to test it.

Not using the 3M brand ones is a lot different from never having used one. I have used many different pads, but I like the ones I get at the janitor place because a) they are thicker and all pad and b) they are inexpensive. The ones you see at the stores are usually attached to a sponge. I prefer not having a sponge, which is a preference. The ones that Ford used to recommend were bigger and had a sponge. For most people doing their own vehicle, spending $2 on sponges once every six months or so is fine. The post above is in reply to Jay who is a leather repair guy. I was giving him some advice on buying in bulk. This can also apply to the pro detailers. Keeping costs down is one way to become more profitable. Anyway, I say 3M delicate duty white pad, but I think they are now generic like Kleenex or Aspirin. I think all of the white pads have the same abrasiveness like all of the green pads (which are more ubiquitous) whether they are made by 3M or someone else.

Bert
08-17-2008, 05:35 PM

Which department of Target did you see it in? Just the general cleaning supplies? I googled "3M delicate duty scuff pad" to see what the package looks like but nothing came up.