PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow like vertical scratches in clear?

tksmr2
08-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Hello,

I have a car with black PPG 9700? base coat, it`s a 2 stage paint job with 3 base, 2 clear coats.

The clear is really reallly soft, and everything scratches really easily. I have a lot of fine swirls on my front bumper. My hood has some very fine scratches, and about 5 scratches really close together that are about a foot long that look to be giving off a rainbow effect when I look really closely at it.

My question is how do I get these out? I tried scratch X.. but that didn`t even touch them. What causes this rainbow effect that some of these scratches give off?

I also have some hard water spots, or what looks to be water spots in the clear. This paint is only a few years old, but has only seen about 1,500 miles and very little to no weather as it`s garaged.

Should I buy the Flex polisher kit?.. it`s around $370 bucks. I`m worried about starting out with a rotary, even though I have used one before on a fibreglass wing, I don`t want to chance anything on this car, and create even more damage.

JasonS
08-15-2008, 07:35 AM
Hello,

I have a car with black PPG 9700? base coat, it`s a 2 stage paint job with 3 base, 2 clear coats.

The clear is really reallly soft, and everything scratches really easily. I have a lot of fine swirls on my front bumper. My hood has some very fine scratches, and about 5 scratches really close together that are about a foot long that look to be giving off a rainbow effect when I look really closely at it.

My question is how do I get these out? I tried scratch X.. but that didn`t even touch them. What causes this rainbow effect that some of these scratches give off?

I also have some hard water spots, or what looks to be water spots in the clear. This paint is only a few years old, but has only seen about 1,500 miles and very little to no weather as it`s garaged.

Should I buy the Flex polisher kit?.. it`s around $370 bucks. I`m worried about starting out with a rotary, even though I have used one before on a fibreglass wing, I don`t want to chance anything on this car, and create even more damage.

Since you have used a rotary before, you will find the Flex polisher very easy to use. It has more correcting ability than a PC but is still safer than a rotary.

For the water spots, have you tried detailing clay yet? If they are mineral deposists on the surface that haven`t etched in then the clay should remove them.

Not sure about the rainbow effect, can you post some pics?

tksmr2
08-15-2008, 07:41 AM
Since you have used a rotary before, you will find the Flex polisher very easy to use. It has more correcting ability than a PC but is still safer than a rotary.

For the water spots, have you tried detailing clay yet? If they are mineral deposists on the surface that haven`t etched in then the clay should remove them.

Not sure about the rainbow effect, can you post some pics?

Yea.. I`ll post some pics tonight.. thanks.. It`s like the scratches themselves have green,red, blue, yellow in them.

I have not really touched this car since I bought it last summer. I`ve been working on other things, and the paint is pretty nice on it.. needs some wetsanding down the sides, and a few other places, but it`s not horrible by any means. But, it seems to scratch very very easily.