PDA

View Full Version : Don`t make fun of me: What to use when washing?

chucky2
08-14-2008, 09:31 PM
We had my dad`s long neglected black `00 Expedition detailed for his birthday. It came out great, however, it`s time to wash the thing.

The detailer said Meg`s Gold Class car wash would be fine to use, however I`m wondering what to use to actually wash the thing? What about drying it?

I don`t have a problem ordering off the internet...I just don`t want to put in swirl the guy took out.

Any Autopia defacto products for this stuff???

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Chuck

imported_shine
08-14-2008, 10:18 PM
Meg`s Gold Class would work fine.

You`ll get a lot of opinions on what the best wash media is, but I like my microfiber mitts in combination with the 2 bucket system w/ grit guards. A foam gun is nice to have as well.

Waffle weave microfiber towels do great for drying, but if you want to be extra cautious, use a leaf blower to get off the majority of the water and follow up with the microfiber.

Jscort98
08-14-2008, 10:25 PM
I use megs gc and works great. I use a grout sponge from lowes to wash with and two buckets. One for soap and one for rinsing. Then I use a waffle weave towel to dry, blow out the the cracks with a leaf blower and then follow with a smaller towel to get the last drops.

Autogeek
08-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Sheepskin/lambswool mitts were an all-time favorite here back in the day, and I still haven`t grown out of them. Nothing is softer or holds more soapy water....just my .02.

Accumulator
08-15-2008, 10:23 AM
IMO GC shampoo is OK but nothing great. But the most important thing is to use the right wash media (nothing that can scratch in and of itself) and to use it correctly. That last part is what`s tricky...how do you dislodge abrasive dirt and then move it off the panels without causing marring (scratches/etc.)?

Heres how I do it: http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-articles-videos/35232-accumulator-s-non-marring-wash-technique.html