PDA

View Full Version : Severe PC 7424 Pad Confusion

Pages : [1] 2

critical_level2
08-14-2008, 04:21 PM
I have spent the last few days trying to figure out exactly what pads I should get to begin with. I have searched and read and my mind is now boggled. This is my first time I will be using my PC. I know first I will need the backing plate. I was thinking of going with 1 orange, 1 white, 1 grey and 1 blue LC CSS 6-inch Pads. I will be using them on my 05 Honda Element. The paint is pretty good and doesn`t have deep scratches or need tons of correction. It does have some swirling and light scratches, as for the last 2 years it has been washed at automatic car washes and been waxed and polished by hand. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Eliot Ness
08-14-2008, 04:44 PM
.............I know first I will need the backing plate. I was thinking of going with 1 orange, 1 white, 1 grey and 1 blue LC CSS 6-inch Pads. ...........The paint is pretty good and doesn`t have deep scratches or need tons of correction. ............OK this is what I`d recommend. Buy a 3.5" BP:

3.5" Dual Action Flexible Backing Plate- porter cable 7424 or 7336 hook and loop backing plate 3.5 inch. (http://www.autogeek.net/lc-43085da.html)

3.5^^ Hook & Loop Flexiplate (http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=37932&pd=284883)

And then go with all 4" pads to keep things simple:

Spot Buffing 4 inch pads - 30% thicker than the Low Profile Spot Buffs! (http://www.autogeek.net/4inch-spot-buffs.html)

4^^ Erasure Turbo Pads (http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=56101)

The 4" pads will correct much better on a PC and even for applying a glaze, wax, or sealer it doesn`t take that much longer. These are the pads I would get: at least 2 (4 would be better) each of the orange and white pads. Also buy a gray, blue and/or red pad for applying a glaze, sealer, or a wax. If you`re going to be using an AIO then a couple of the green pads might not be a bad idea either.

At this point in time I wouldn`t be too concerned about a PFW pad (http://www.autogeek.net/3-5inch-foamed-wool-pad.html) (and corresponding BP) yet unless you discover some defects you can`t remove with the orange.

schmitt55
08-14-2008, 06:02 PM
+1 on what he said. 4" pads are better with the PC

Envious Eric
08-14-2008, 06:07 PM
i actually like the 5.5" LC orange flat pads better than the 4" CCS orange pads via PC...seems like I got NO correction out of the 4"ccs in the same amount of time with the flat 5.5"

5" backing plate with 5.5" pads, speed 6 with your compound of choice and you are good to go!

follow it with a 5.5" white and then wax...no need for the blue or grey pads, especially if your car is going to continually see the automatic car washes weekly! I would get two/three orange, two white, and maybe one finishing for applying a liquid wax

M0nk3y
08-14-2008, 09:33 PM
With what ever pads you decide. Make sure you get a couple of each. You don`t want an orange pad clogging up with polish. You will be useless!

I use about 4 orange pads per car, on average.........

imported_shine
08-14-2008, 10:12 PM
5.5" pads seemed to work very nicely with my UDM @ speed 5. I`ve corrected GM clear with the 5.5" orange pads and 106FF, and most Honda paint is quite a bit softer. The PC at speed 6 should do similar.

I agree with M0nK3y. You`ll need a few of whatever color you choose to use to get the job done.

imported_bigfoot
08-14-2008, 11:28 PM
5" pads from Danase are a great happy medium in size, if you compare between the 4" and 5.5-6.5" pads. I would still use the 3.5 BP as Elliot Ness said, and I would get white and orange pads, at least 3 of each.

EricDawg
08-14-2008, 11:34 PM
One more vote for 4" pads. I just like focusing on a reasonable area of the car, one section at a time. I find it hard to do with a 6" pad, and notice better swirl removal with 4" pads. Just my 2 cents.

And I like the Orange pads better. I believe yellow is more aggressive, which sounds like you don`t need for your light swirls.

critical_level2
08-15-2008, 09:34 PM
I have looked at the turbo pads Eliot Ness posted and they seem very nice. The price is a bit better than the LC pads.

Money is a bit tight, so I was planning on ordering:

1 - 3.5 inch Flexiplate

2 - Orange Erasure Turbo Pads

2 - White Erasure Turbo Pads

2 - Blue Erasure Turbo Pads

Maybe

2 - Green Erasure Turbo Pads

This will be my first time using my PC. I think I may be able to get away with 2 of each, as Only half the body has paint on it, the rest is all plastic cladding galore (like my avatar). Should I just hold off on the greens for now and order an extra orange or white pad in its place?

Thanks.

Eliot Ness
08-18-2008, 07:29 AM
..........Should I just hold off on the greens for now and order an extra orange or white pad in its place?.........I`d go ahead and get the green too, but then it`s pretty easy for me to spend your money ;).

Call or e-mail Patrick at Exceldetail and find out how his green compares (aggressiveness wise) to the orange and white. I have some of his green on order but haven`t tried them yet. Other greens I have used I really like for cleaning with an AIO. One thing I like about Patrick`s pads is they are flat and not the CCS design....... I just personally prefer plain flat pads.

wannafbody
08-18-2008, 09:13 AM
2 orange

2 white

2 blue or new yellow 100 PPI

that should cover it

dreamcatchr23
08-18-2008, 05:51 PM
sorry for the newbie-ish question... i just ordered some 4" pads and i forgot if i need a counterweight...

kaval
08-18-2008, 06:39 PM
^The counterweight that comes with the PC is fine. 4" pads on the PC produce next to zero vibration.

dreamcatchr23
08-18-2008, 06:44 PM
^The counterweight that comes with the PC is fine. 4" pads on the PC produce next to zero vibration.

thanks for the quick response... it certainly alleviates my mind (not having to worry about getting the backing plate/pad and then not being able to use it due to missing counterweight)... :woot2:

God77
08-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Hi, I`m planning to buy a PC and can`t decide which pads to go. LC CSS pads are about two times expensive than other Low-Profile Pads. From Autogeek, I`ve found a 5.5" Low-profile pads from Lakes Country (they claimed but not sure) kit for about $15. It`s quite cheap and so, I want to know if anyone ever used these pads and what about them. As I`ve a very tight budget, I want a cheap and good one (even if not the best).

And, do people really notice the benefits of CSS compared to a Low-profile pads when polishing. Please help.

http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/autogeek_2015_8567253

Thanks,