PDA

View Full Version : scratched my cars glass with razor blade

schybrid
08-13-2008, 07:21 PM
i cleaned my cars windows with a razor blade/soapy water. I guess the blade was a bit dirty, so now, the glass has a ton of micro scratches in it. can i buff these out by hand with a product somehow ????

help, my glass is all fugged up !!!!!!!:nervous2:

Eliot Ness
08-13-2008, 07:36 PM
It`s hard to get scratches out of glass and to do it by hand would be almost impossible unless it isn`t really scratched. You might try a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and some window cleaner and hope they aren`t really scratches.

If they are scratches then your only hope, short of glass replacement, is something like this:

Eastwood Co. - Glass Polishing Kit Pro (http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=2010&itemType=PRODUCT)

I`m not sure if any glass shops offer that service but you could call around and ask.

Accumulator
08-14-2008, 10:58 AM
This won`t help schybrid, but the whole episode brings up something that doesn`t get mentioned here very often: Today`s auto glass is very different from what auto glass used to be...now it`s got a high non-glass component percentage and it`s not all *that* hard. Stuff that used to work great isn`t safe to do any more.

Regular razor blades are great for some jobs on some glass (just removed the NC inspection sticker from the Denali XL`s windshield with one), but *plastic* razor blades really are a better tool for the job. Not as effective but a whole lot safer. This exact issue is one of the big reasons why companies like AutoInt sell them. And yeah, now I`m thinking that I shoulda used a plastic one even though it woulda taken longer :o