PDA

View Full Version : Rust Bubble - Need to worry?

Mr_Elusive
08-13-2008, 06:57 AM
Hey guys,

I`ve recently noticed a spot on my car right behind the rear wheel arch where there is a rust bubble. I checked the panel from the inside and its absolutely perfect and still has the rust proof coating. Apparently the rust bubble was caused by a tiny stone chip, but with all the rain we have been getting recently, water must have gotten inside to the bare metal. I cleaned and painted the chip leaving it sealed. The bubble itself feels very hard, I`ve tried to push it in to see if it would flake out, but it doesn`t budge, it just feels like the paint is swollen.

Question - Should I still have to worry about the rust spreading if the source of air and water has been sealed? I just hate the idea of having to get the whole rear quarter panel painted.

Thanks guys!

BigJimZ28
08-13-2008, 07:33 AM
the problem is that you did not remove the rust so it will spread

with that sayed it is prob just a little surface rust and could stay the same size for a long time....or it could spread like wild fire!

IMO grind out the rust prime & paint

if it is on a hard to see spot I would DIY it, if it is the top of the arch have a pro fix it

99GrandAM
08-13-2008, 10:17 AM
My car is actually in the shop as we speak getting the same repair fixed now.

Mine situation is almost exactly as you described, started out as just a little bubble, but a few months later, grew to this.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa13/msbggoalie09/GrandAmBefore001c.jpg

(the circles are the outlines of the paint bubbles since they`re kindof hard to see)

:( So I pretty much HAD to get it in before it grew too much bigger. I`m just telling you what happened with my situation so you can judge what to do. If I were you, just try to seal it, and if you notice any growth, then probably take it in...

Accumulator
08-13-2008, 05:06 PM
If it shows, on an area of the car that`s visible, and if you care about how that particular vehicle looks, then I`d take it to a pro. Small areas can be repaired and spotted in without doing the whole panel, I have it done all the time.

Mr_Elusive
08-13-2008, 05:38 PM
I`ll take it to a pro and see what they say. If it can be done without doing the whole panel, I`ll definitely do it!

tguil
08-14-2008, 08:58 PM
Yep, I think that you should worry a bit. I have never in almost 45 years of messin` with cars had a rust bubble caused by a stone chip. It was always the result of rust gnawing away at the metal from inside the body panel -- even from under the rust proofing. After offering this opinion, I should add that I was able to make some temporary fixes but that`s all they were -- temporary. The rust came back within a few months. Take it to a good body shop and see what they have to say.

Tom :cool: