PDA

View Full Version : Color safe leather cleaner/conditioner

Slik560
08-12-2008, 06:45 AM
I`ve been a Leatherique user and the combo of their rejuvinator oil and cleaner is doing it`s job on the 21+ year-old seats in my 87 Benz. There has been minimal color transfer (blue leather) when using the Prestine Clean and white cotton cloths. The seats are softening, but two decades of neglect by the previous owner makes the recovery a slow job. Now,

I wanted a little more luster to the seats and headrests, so I got some Griot`s Garage Leather Care to try. It seemed to bring up a nice finish, but the real problem with it is streaking. I switched from applying by hand to using a detail sponge, but when the product has dried and I buff it up, there is still some uneven-ness about it. The real problem is the smooth leather on the backs of the seats. Terrible streaking.

I decided to remove the Griots and got out the Prestine Clean and cotton cloths and GOOD LORD did the color come off on the cloths!! :bawling: Not to the point of destroying the look, but enough to make be put the Griot`s leather stuff away. A cleaning with Prestine Clean eliminated most of the streaking on the smooth leather seat backs.

UNLESS there is a leather conditioner out there that is color safe for the older leather, I`ll just stick with Leatherique and go with the flat finish on the seats. The other leather in the car look great with Leatherique, so maybe it`s just a matter of time until the seats soften.

As always, any constructive feedback is appreciated. :thx

KnuckleBuckett
08-12-2008, 10:28 AM
I have had excellent luck with the Lexus leather conditioner!!

Autogeek
08-12-2008, 11:04 AM
This product is very gentle and formulated specifically for finished/coated leather.

1Z Einszett Leather Care (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-leather-care.html)

Quality Leather
08-12-2008, 04:32 PM
This product is very gentle and formulated specifically for finished/coated leather.

1Z Einszett Leather Care (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einszett-leather-care.html)

I think the Woolite formula that is commonly posted is probably just as good.

As for the seats, your problem stems from the fact that the leather and coating are old. This probably has a solvent based coating applied to the leather. I would start with a 3m delicate duty pad and just distilled water. You can also kneed the leather (like dough) with a wet rag. It may be a little difficult depending on how tight the leather is, but this might bring out any residual cleaners.

widyhs
08-13-2008, 12:20 AM
I woudl stay away from Griots leather cleaner/condiitoner. Did a passat and the rubery material actually peeled off the plastics handles. Very abrsaive stuff to use around rubber materials. Had good luckw ith Woolite for cleaning and hate to admit this but nothing beats leathrique so far.

Slik560
08-13-2008, 08:34 AM
Excellent advice - thanks to all!