PDA

View Full Version : First Serious Detail

tonio5555
08-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Hi everybody, in the next week or two I`ll be doing my first serious detail on my 2006 Chevy Cobalt LTZ. I spend a lot of time with some guys who are very serious about auto detailing and I`ve tried to learn as much as I can from the, as well as some lurking I`ve been doing on these boards. I don`t have to cash to shell out for the really expensive detailing products, but if I list what I have maybe someone could give me some general feedback on what to use and how to use it? I don`t have a Random Orbital or Porter Cable, I`ll be doing all applications by hand applicators and buffing with MF towels.

Here`s what I`ve got, what should I use and how?

Meguair`s Gold Class Shampoo (know how to use this one lol, I dry with a waterblade and microfiber)

Gliptone Clay Bar (know how to clay too)

Meguairs Paint Cleaner (Step 1 of the 3 Step)

Mothers Show Car Glaze #7

Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Polish

Turtle Wax Ice Quick Detailer

Zymol Cleaner Wax (Liquid)

Megauir`s Gold Class Clear Coat Wax (Paste)

I also have Scratch X which I`ve been told is garbage even though I`ve had some mild success with it.

I realize I don`t have a Polish, but right now I just want to work with what I`ve got, as time goes on I`ll accumulate more variety and better quality products. Anybody that can give this noob some tips on how to work with what I have would be really appreciated.

FRJR
08-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Hey tonio, as a recent Autopian, I can add my opinion from my limited experience. I guess you will be using OTC products as I am. I can`t comment on any pro products, so I`ll leave that to the pros.

Meguair`s Gold Class Shampoo - This is a pretty good car wash IMO, produced good suds for me, one of the better car washes I`ve used.

As for clay, I have used the Blue Clay Magic with great success, reasonably priced. IDK about the Gliptone Clay, I have never used it.

The Meguiars Paint cleaner is okay for removing contaminants and light oxidation, but don`t expect it to have any cut or ability to remove some defects such as swirls or scratches. I have made 3 to 5 applications and it did little in that department.

I`ve used Gold Class liquid, but I have used the NXT paste with better results. I`ve never used the GC paste though.

ScratchX isn`t bad, it does remove oxidation and cobwebs but may require more than 1 application for optimum results. It is mild, and I chose to use it before I go to a more potent product like M105.

For polish, I have used Meguiars Colorx after Scratchx and it did a good job, a step up from the 3 step Meguiars polish. It does help to remove VERY minor defects and does leave a nice depth and gloss. Heard it was also a wax but I follow up with a coat of wax anyway.

Hope it helps,

FRJR