PDA

View Full Version : How necessary is a Sealant AND a Wax?

Egoolps
08-10-2008, 06:17 PM
I`ve been reading up a lot on this...is it necessary? I don`t want to waste my time/money if it`s not.

Do you use a Sealant before your wax? Or just a wax?

Garry Dean
08-10-2008, 06:24 PM
LOL, sealants go on and then have to cure. You can then add wax on top of the sealant to add depth and shine. I dont even use waxes anymore. Not on customers cars and not on my own. Sealants just last longer and they are layerable so that you can achieve the same depth and shine with them as you can with waxes.

Hope this helps!

Legacy
08-10-2008, 06:28 PM
LOL, sealants go on and then have to cure. You can then add wax on top of the sealant to add depth and shine. I dont even use waxes anymore. Not on customers cars and not on my own. Sealants just last longer and they are layerable so that you can achieve the same depth and shine with them as you can with waxes.

Hope this helps!I too have turned to only sealants, but I do believe that a nuba like Fuzion gives the finish a warmer glow.

Egoolps
08-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys.

Can you recommend a great sealant for a Brilliant Black Clearcoat finish?

Legacy
08-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Paint Guard Plus is a wipe on, walk away sealant. No buffing is required. Takes 10 mins to do your entire car. Safe for trim moldings, glass, plastic, chrome, etc.

svanderbilt
08-11-2008, 02:44 AM
Well, none of this is necessary, ask 99.9% of car owners out there!

Sealants are very durable, but many don`t like the "candy coated" look from a sealant. Sealants alone look good on red, white, silver, but dark colors, many prefer a natural wax.

Natural waxes, many argue, give a deeper, natural glow. But don`t last as long as sealants.

So how does one get the protection of a sealant with the depth of a carnauba? Layering one over the other.

PS you can layer carnaubas over sealants, but not vice versa.

I just did my new dark gray car with Klasse All-In-One x 1, Klasse Sealant Glaze x 2, and P21s Concours Look Wax x 2.

David Fermani
08-11-2008, 05:03 AM

Sealants are very durable, but many don`t like the "candy coated" look from a sealant. Sealants alone look good on red, white, silver, but dark colors, many prefer a natural wax.

Natural waxes, many argue, give a deeper, natural glow. But don`t last as long as sealants.

So how does one get the protection of a sealant with the depth of a carnauba? Layering one over the other.

I just did my new dark gray car with Klasse All-In-One x 1, Klasse Sealant Glaze x 2, and P21s Concours Look Wax x 2.

X2. :bigups

Also, the beading properties are usually a little different for each type of LSP. There`s sealants like 1Z Einszett Glanz Wax that kinda does both.

pwaug
08-11-2008, 07:07 AM
You could use Optimum products and get the protection of a sealant and the warmer deeper look of wax. A base coat of PoliSeal will do some cleaning, light polishing and leave a coat of sealant/carnuba on the car. You can follow up with a coat of OptiSeal--takes 15 minutes to wipe on walk away for extra protection and then use Optimum Spray Wax that goes on like a detail spray and has wax and sealant in it whenever you have another 15 minutes. Take a look here for good info-- Optimum (http://www.obsessivedetail.com/Optimum.html)

zaxjax
08-11-2008, 07:30 AM
It depends on color, and if it`s a customer car.

If it`s my car I will do a sealant and a wax topper.

A customer will get one or the other depending on the color.

imported_Devilsown
08-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Thanks guys.

Can you recommend a great sealant for a Brilliant Black Clearcoat finish?

menz fmj is some really nice stuff you have to polish your paint prior to first application

Accumulator
08-11-2008, 09:37 AM
I use sealants on a few of our vehicles and waxes on the rest. Both have their pros and cons.

I no longer do the sealant + wax combo as it precludes adding more sealant later.

rjom
08-11-2008, 05:02 PM
I use sealants on a few of our vehicles and waxes on the rest. Both have their pros and cons.

I no longer do the sealant + wax combo as it precludes adding more sealant later.

Why is that? Can`t you just remove the wax, and apply sealant? I typically do that every three months. Or are you just talking applying another layer of sealant after a short period of time? Am I misunderstanding?

Legacy
08-11-2008, 05:12 PM

I just did my new dark gray car with Klasse All-In-One x 1, Klasse Sealant Glaze x 2, and P21s Concours Look Wax x 2.:showpics:showpics