PDA

View Full Version : Tips for cleaning headliners?

Allnitro
08-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Hi folks. I cleaned a dirty white headliner today using a ZEP upholstery cleaner in a Bissell Little Green Machine. It actually worked well in removing the stains, but after I let it dry, wherever i cleaned with the machine was surrounded by water marks at the edges. I scrubbed the water marks with a vinegar and water solution, this worked well at removing them but it was a lot of work.

Is there an easier method to clean headliners that won`t leave water marks? If that method can be used with the LGM all the better. If not, that`s ok too. Thanks for your help.

citizen arcane
08-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Welcome to Autopia :welcome

I`ve never cleaned headliners but can provide a link that may point you in the right direction:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/professional-detailer-general-discussion/86721-just-purchases-mytee-lite-ii-any-tips-using-3.html

look at the bottom of post #25 where it says "Using the fine fabric shampoo." It describes a different method for cleaning than you used and may be what you`re looking for. He recommends using a grout sponge (available at Lowes in the cleaning section.) BTW be sure to read the whole post, Grouse gave some valuable tips on cleaning there.

backwoods_lex
08-09-2008, 11:03 PM
I know you don`t hear a lot about it here, but foaming APC Tuff Stuff is always my go to when cleaning a headliner. I`ve never gotten water marks from it, and it is a rare, rare circumstance when it isn`t able to get the job done with great results. Great smell too.

David Fermani
08-10-2008, 06:46 AM
Wow. An extractor used on a headliner! :scared: Be careful with water or water-based products on headliners. :nonoEspecially in the summer time. It will destroy them.