PDA

View Full Version : Possible wetsanding??

The Twanksta
08-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Well I am working on this 29` Stamas and it was HEAVILY oxidized. I believe its a early 90s boat and looks like it hasnt seen a touch of wax in a long time..

I have tried my usual 4-star brand extra cutting polish with little luck, it clears it up quite a bit but leaves a very uneven loking finish. I have also tried the 3m alternative with about the same results. Im wondering if I now should resort to wetsanding?

Just to mention this will only be on the hullsides, now Im just wondering what process you guys are using and which pads/chemicals to get rid of the scratches from the sanding? Any other tips would also be appreciated. I have done some wetsanding work on cars, never boats and it is gelcoat too. You can wetsand gelcoat right?

Sorry for the noob questions. I have just recently got into the boat detailing industry and I want to be able to offer the best quality I possibly can! thanks in advance!

the other pc
08-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Yes, you can sand gelcoat. It’s usually much thicker than paint but it can have thin spots so you still have to pay attention.

What machine and pads have you been using?

Sort of a catch-22. The process for removing wetsanding scratch, heavy compounding with a rotary buffer and wool pad, is usually effective at removing oxidation by itself, without sanding. But whether you do one or both really depends on the extent of the defects and workability of the gelcoat.

Since you plan on doing lots of boats you may want to consider products formulated specifically for gelcoats. Meg’s, for example, has an entire marine line.

PC.

The Twanksta
08-07-2008, 10:35 AM
I have actually been using a product called 4-star "extra cut" has been a great one-step polish but on the more oxidized boats its not cutting it. I have also tried the 3m marine compound with no luck. I am using a rotary with a white wool pad.

As i have been reading on this site, seems most of you are detailing the boats just as you are cars?!? With a 2 or 3 step polishing process and foam pads? I thought I was taught somewhat well, but its not the level i am seeing on here, which I inspire to be at this level soon!

thanks for the advice, what polish pad would you reccommend on a heavily oxidized boat? maybe I will go pick up a quart and new pad. also do you order online or does a certain retailer carry these items?

the other pc
08-07-2008, 10:56 AM
I haven’t really done that much gelcoat work so I can’t give any sage advice on particular compound/pad combos. The basic process is the same as for paint. The last time I did a multi-hour stint under 25 feet of fiberglass it was painted.

If you’d rather not order online I would think that many paint shop suppliers around your neck of the woods would have supplies for boat detailing.

Meg’s dealer locator (http://www.meguiars.com/dealerlocator/) can point you towards their marine retailers.

PC.

qwertydude
08-07-2008, 11:01 AM
My dad`s boat is gelcoat. That stuff seemed to clog my wool pads pretty bad. And I only did a small area in the back that was exposed to sunlight. I would wetsand first as just polishing will take forever. Oxidation seems to cut through more deeply on gelcoat than on paints.