PDA

View Full Version : swirls aren`t coming out, now what?

Pages : [1] 2

lambo G
08-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I have a Lamborghini Gallardo with swirls and spider webs. I used a PC with the stock white pad and Menz IP and Meg Scratch X, speed setting from 3.5 to 5, applying 10-12 lbs of pressure including the weight of the PC. The swirls are not coming out. I re-applied 3 times and there`s very little improvement. I don`t think the clearcoat is that hard. I must be doing something wrong.

Any advice?

BigJimZ28
08-06-2008, 01:53 PM
I would not use that stock white pad on my washing machine let alone a Lamborghini

with a PC most of the time you should be on speed 6 for polishing

IMO pay a pro of fellow autopian for a few hours of how withn the

PC.....it would be a whole lot cheaper then messing up that car

eyezack87
08-06-2008, 02:14 PM
If you can find a Pro Autopian that`ll maybe teach you while you watch that`ll be better. I`ve been doing that for the past 2 details upon the owners request...

imported_weekendwarrior
08-06-2008, 03:38 PM
I have a Lamborghini Gallardo with swirls and spider webs. I used a PC with the stock white pad and Menz IP and Meg Scratch X, speed setting from 3.5 to 5, applying 10-12 lbs of pressure including the weight of the PC. The swirls are not coming out. I re-applied 3 times and there`s very little improvement. I don`t think the clearcoat is that hard. I must be doing something wrong.

Any advice?

Where are you located? If you`ll check the regional forums, there are a lot of detailing meets from time to time in various places where guys help each other with techniques.

lambo G
08-07-2008, 02:32 AM
I have a feeling this pad is too mild. I can`t think of anything else I`m doing wrong. You shouldn`t need to run the PC on 6 to remove very minor swirls. 3.5-5 is the recommended range for swirls

I`m gonna try a yellow pad

Lumadar
08-07-2008, 04:08 AM
I have a feeling this pad is too mild. I can`t think of anything else I`m doing wrong. You shouldn`t need to run the PC on 6 to remove very minor swirls. 3.5-5 is the recommended range for swirls

Well...that might be true on single stage paint, but not on modern cars with 2-stage paint.

Clearcoat is a LOT harder (most of the time) than most people realize. Think about it, you`re taking FOAM and using that to cut into a fairly hard surface...heh.

A PC won`t even get at a good portion of scratches and deep swirls in some cases, at all.

So, that said...expect to use speed 5 pretty much always when doing anything but applying wax. Speed 6 is not recommended by most makers of PC machines, so play at your own risk there.

The next issue that sticks out to me is your product choice, both are VERY mild. You need to step up to something more aggressive, IMO.

The same goes for the pad...any info on what it is? A white polishing pad typically offers VERY little cut at all.

dreamcatchr23
08-07-2008, 05:08 AM
I think the choice of pad is critical, as you must match the aggressiveness of the pad to the polish... And I would follow IP (on a cutting pad) with FPII (on a polishing/finishing pad)... Good luck and post some before/after pics...

wannafbody
08-07-2008, 07:24 AM

Speeds 1-4 are worthless for swirl removeing. You have top step up to 4 or 5.5 inch pads and speed 5-6 to remove swirls with a PC. Get a medium polish and a finishing polish. Then wax or seal.

imported_cushdrive
08-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Speeds 1-4 are worthless for swirl removeing. You have top step up to 4 or 5.5 inch pads and speed 5-6 to remove swirls with a PC. Get a medium polish and a finishing polish. Then wax or seal.

+1

You shouldn`t have to put that much pressure on the PC either. I would leave this job to a professional as well.

qwertydude
08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
You can always use M105 and a wool pad if all else fails. Seems that italian paints are pretty darn hard. I detailed someone`s vespa before and it was rock hard stuff that only 3M rubbing compound could touch. I didn`t have M105 at the time.

pricha00
08-07-2008, 11:54 AM
I would have to say the Menz IP with a 4 inch orange or yellow pad should show some improvement in your finish. With an exotic car such as that one I would think you could invest in a little first hand teaching on how to use that PC for optimum results.

Pat.

ricka
08-07-2008, 11:56 AM
what`s worked for me on my hard audi paint are 4" pads with a pc...much better for paint correction than the larger ones. get a couple of whites and orange pads. try the white first and it that doesn`t do, migrate to orange. currently using wolfgang 3.0 total swirl remover and its working just fine. nice working time too and won`t dust like its cousin menzerna 106ff (both are made by the same company).

also, as mentioned, you might want to pay a pro detailer to get out the swirls and watch the procedure. they will usually let you try it as well and give pointers. for a lambo it doesn`t make $ense to experiment without the proper knowledge and technique.

good luck.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
08-07-2008, 12:05 PM
You shouldn`t need to run the PC on 6 to remove very minor swirls. 3.5-5 is the recommended range for swirls

Not to be rude but you #1 are using a pad that I would never use on a yugo (nor have I ever heard of an autopian using the pad that comes with the PC).

Then, people that HAVE used the PC to remove swirls give you their 1st hand knowledge on how to remove the swirls and then you say they are wrong and speed 6 is not needed:confused: WOW

For the record, speed 6 on a pc is your friend, and as has been already stated the white stock pad is crap and you should get yourself some smaller pads... the PC is not a powerhouse so the smaller diameter pads assists with correction...

BigJimZ28
08-07-2008, 12:07 PM

3.5-5 is recomeded by who?(it comes from the Meg board so they can cover ther AZZ)

anyone that has spent any time with a PC will tell you 6 is the only speed

if you have minor swils a yellow pad is too much

MrBuffit97
08-07-2008, 12:19 PM
I detail lambo`s everyday.I would find someone that has experienced in swirl removal and let them do it and watchthe process so the next time you have an idea on how to do it and keep it from happening again.Lambo paint is handled very different from the manufacturer than other vehicles.GOOD LUCK.