PDA

View Full Version : My windshield "grabs" when I try to clean it

bamorris2
08-06-2008, 08:55 AM
I don`t know why, but whenever I try to clean my windshield, both inside and outside, it gets very "grabby" with the towel. To the point that I can`t give it a nice final wipedown. It doesn`t even help if I slightly mist the towel first; in order for it not to grab, I have to wet it sufficiently that it leave product behind on the swipe.

The windshield is only a few months old. I`ve used vinegar, clay, and DG glass polish (all on the outside only), but none of these products eliminates the grab. Plus, like I said, it happens on the inside of the windshield too.

As for cleaning products, I use IG or Meg`s D-line glass cleaner, and MF`s (either Mainstay WW`s or their regular MF`s).

Anyway, I`m looking for suggestions on what I can do to obtain a nice smooth finish on the inside and outside of my windshield. None of the other windows give me this problem, just the newer windshield.

qwertydude
08-06-2008, 09:14 AM
it`s because it `s really clean and the microfibers tend to grab like gecko feet. Try applying rain-x.

bamorris2
08-06-2008, 09:21 AM
it`s because it `s really clean and the microfibers tend to grab like gecko feet. Try applying rain-x.

So is cotton terry perhaps a better towel for cleaning the windshield? Boy, I haven`t used one of those for years!

Autogeek
08-06-2008, 09:27 AM
I know what you mean. What you`re experiencing is built up road grime. Use something like DP High Performance Glass Restorer and your windshield will turn out "as smooth as glass" ;)

DP High Performance Glass Restorer removes etched water spots from auto glass and restores perfect clarity. Apply with a polisher or applicator for (http://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html)

If you want it even smoother, you can also clay it. :)

bamorris2
08-06-2008, 09:37 AM
I know what you mean. What you`re experiencing is built up road grime. Use something like DP High Performance Glass Restorer and your windshield will turn out "as smooth as glass" ;)

DP High Performance Glass Restorer removes etched water spots from auto glass and restores perfect clarity. Apply with a polisher or applicator for (http://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html)

If you want it even smoother, you can also clay it. :)

But that`s the thing; my windshield is VERY clean. First of all, it`s only a few months old. Secondly, I`ve clayed it several times, as well as polished it. I clean it at least weekly, sometimes more. It`s garaged at night, and kept in a parking structure during the day. My commute is only about 20 minutes. So I`m confident that it isn`t road grime that`s causing the grabby-ness of it.

Autogeek
08-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Well, it will never be as smooth as paint, but what are you using to seal the glass?

strzelczykj
08-06-2008, 10:08 AM
I have the same problem. I just finished the car using a Flex and the Matt recommended Wolfgang TSR kit, which btw is great for a novice. So on to the windows. I used the DP Glass Restorer from the `Geek and for the first time I was a bit disappointed. Followed the directions using damp MF towel, bad idea. Switched to a 4" orange pad and got decent results but as you state, the glass is still grabby. What is recommended for a sealer?

Joel_MD
08-06-2008, 10:33 AM
I recommend using cotton towels to clean glass. They are certainly less "grabby." I like the cotton "bar towels" that they sell at Sam`s Club in big packs. Wash them with no fabric softeners and they work great for glass.

mose
08-06-2008, 10:33 AM
I always use KAIO on all my glass. I polish it with my FLEX and it always come out nice and smooth!! I always top it with either AW or OS, but it never grabs like you are describing. Good luck!!

bamorris2
08-06-2008, 10:37 AM
What is recommended for a sealer?

I too would like to know. I have previously used my DG Aquawax on the outside of the windshield. However, I also had other issues with the windshield (see THIS THREAD (http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/109735-arrrgh-can-t-get-windshield-crystal-clear.html)), and I thought that the AW was maybe the culprit. But maybe it wasn`t..??..

Does anyone use AW on the inside of the glass???

Bobarell
08-06-2008, 10:44 AM
I`ve been using ONR to clean glass and it has done GREAT. I am still trying it for different cleaning but I found that on glass that none of the 6 glass cleaners I have are as easy to use or leave the glass as clear as ONR does.

Mark77
08-06-2008, 12:22 PM
I know the feeling, glass is more "grabby" than clean pant. I use small ww mf from packshack or a Meguiars glass towel and the seem to grab less than regular MF and don`t leave streaks either. I wet them pretty well with Megs Glass cleaner and just wipe.

BlueLibby04
08-06-2008, 06:33 PM
Ive also experienced this and Ive found its just the type of towels that I was using. I now use Meguiars terry towels and they work out awesome.

I also tried out the glass towels that ADS carries. They work out OK but its not worth having a dedicated glass towel when the cotton towels work just as good.

Glass cleaner of choice is of course megs D-line cleaner.

ricka
08-06-2008, 07:08 PM
I always use KAIO on all my glass. I polish it with my FLEX and it always come out nice and smooth!! I always top it with either AW or OS, but it never grabs like you are describing. Good luck!!

AW or a QD (FK 425, DG 921 etc) work great to give a slick glass surface. Make sure to wipe a second time with a dry towel. Leaves a very nice finish.

KnuckleBuckett
08-06-2008, 08:45 PM
I advise against Rain-X. Consider PPG Aquapel!!