PDA

View Full Version : Removing urethane adhesive?

TEGBOY
08-06-2008, 06:52 AM
Hi all,

I removed the side door moldings from my Commodore (GM paint), they were adhered by double sided tape, which I easily removed with a wax/grease remover, however they are also held by a bead of urethane adhesive. Nothing I have tried has even made a difference.

Any idea how to remove this? Someone mention a "caramel wheel" bodyshops use them on a drill to buff to remove these types of adhesives.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k54/bill_randomhero_5700/caramelwheel.jpg... not sure what they are called in the US.. but here they are known as caramel wheel

This car will never be a show/garage queen, so I am not too worries about what I use to remove it.

Any ideas?

Jscort98
08-06-2008, 03:02 PM
I`d try some clay on it.

Accumulator
08-07-2008, 12:30 PM
I`ve heard that the wheels are OK but I`ve never been willing to try one...just too scary for me. I never saw one quite like the one in your pic, but I`d expect a body/paint supply place would have them in stock.

I`d use 3M Adhesive Remover. I`d saturate a rag with it and find some way to hold the rag against the adhesive so it can dwell for a while (maybe try pressing the rag against the panels and then leaning a piece of 2x4 against it to hold it there).

TEGBOY
08-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Thanks all, I ended up purchasing the wheel, it does work, albeit slowly. I has removed the adhesive, now I am left with marring, which is apparently common, so now I need to finish the surface back again.

Appreciate all the advise.