PDA

View Full Version : audi

Pages : [1] 2

zarko
08-04-2008, 10:10 PM
hey guys i have some major swirls on my hood...

ive tried using menzerna ip and fp with a porter cable but its not really doing anything to the swirls...my buddy is down from canada and he brought his flex is it worth me trying with the menzerna or should i try a different product... any rec`s would be great thanks in advance

imported_Ivan Rajic
08-04-2008, 10:15 PM
hey guys i have some major swirls on my hood...

ive tried using menzerna ip and fp with a porter cable but its not really doing anything to the swirls...my buddy is down from canada and he brought his flex is it worth me trying with the menzerna or should i try a different product... any rec`s would be great thanks in advance

What pads are you using? Even though Audi has some of the toughest paint, if not the toughest, IP with an orange pad will remove quite a bit of swirling after 2-3 passes with the PC... FP won`t do anything on Audi paint, so leave it for the last step... I would try and order some orange, maybe even yellow or purple foamed wool pads to use with the Flex, and something more aggressive would be better but from my experience IP will work pretty well after a few passes.

zarko
08-04-2008, 10:17 PM
thanks for the fast reply... i tried the yellow pad and then orange with my pc .... didnt even touch it

imported_MBenz
08-04-2008, 10:53 PM
in my experience, German paint is almost untouchable unless you have a rotary. The best you can do it crank it all the way up to 6 and use a little more pressure than usual.

Accumulator
08-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Lots of Audi experiece here ;)

I dunno what pad choices you have with a Flex, but the PC *can* correct Audi clear with a 3.5" PFW pad. It`ll do it with orange and yellow 4" pads too, but it`ll take a lot longer. [Heck], you can even correct Audis *by hand*, which is the only way to work the area behind the door handles (think "fingernail scratches" :hairpull ), just takes a long, long time (abrasion is abrasion regardless of how you move the polishing media; people polished hard materials for centuries without machines).

When working by non-rotary, it sometimes just takes a lot of passes/time. These days (with all the pads/products available) if I quit working on a RIDS it`s for fear of overthinning the clear, not because I gave up on removing the marring 100%. If your approach isn`t leaving you in this situation, change the pad/product until you find something more aggressive and save the frustration of zillions of passes for the areas you have to do by hand.

IMO the 3.5" PFW pads have completely changed the game when it comes to working by PC, they`ll get the job done with the right product. My current product of choice for the aggressive correction would be 1Z Pasta Intensiv but M105 sounds great too.

zarko
08-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks Accumulator, i just ordered some 1Z Pasta Intensiv and some 4 inch orange pads..... Ill give it a try and see how that works.....

i will be following it up with menzerna fp, klasse AIO and Klasse SG... hows that sound.....

Accumulator
08-06-2008, 11:21 AM
.. i just ordered some 1Z Pasta Intensiv and some 4 inch orange pads..... Ill give it a try and see how that works.....

i will be following it up with menzerna fp, klasse AIO and Klasse SG... hows that sound.....

I never tried FP after the Pasta Intensiv, but I`d expect it to work OK as long as you break the Pasta Intensiv down completely. Won`t know for sure until you try though.

I don`t really care for the Klasse twins on Audis, but I do use `em on another of our vehicles. IMO the KSG is best when layered about 4-6X.

zarko
08-06-2008, 10:54 PM
anything you rec. after i lay break down the 1z....btw the color is melange

Accumulator
08-07-2008, 01:02 PM
anything you rec. after i lay break down the 1z....btw the color is melange

After the 1Z Pasta Intensiv, you`ll need a medium strength polish. That`ll get it looking very good. BUT...to really make a color like the melange look great you oughta continue to final polish/"burnish"/"jewel" the finish after you get all the marring corrected. It`s that final "better than the eye can see" level of polishing that makes *all* the difference on colors like that, so don`t stop when it looks great because there`s a whole `nother level of "WOW!" waiting to be achieved.

Not being familiar with the Menzerna FP (I`ve only used FPI and it`s not what I`d reach for here), I dunno if the FP will be a) strong enough for use after the Pasta Intensiv and/or b) mild enough for the final burnishing.

As for which LSP, I honestly don`t think it matters all that much and the KSG might be fine. But IMO/IME KSG doesn`t really look (or protect) its best until you get at least 4 layers on there.

AudiOn19s
08-08-2008, 05:56 AM
Just to back up what Accumulator has stated...you`re really going to need 3 stages of polishing to get the Audi paint the way you want. Without using a rotary...going straight from cutting to a finishing polish has done very little for me other than cover up marring left behind from the cutting phase that will only re-appear later. Save yourself having to re-do the work and plan on 3 stages of polishing with IP wipedowns frequently.

I"d highly suggest getting your hands on some M105 if you can.

Andy

noego
08-08-2008, 07:07 AM
What is PFW? i`ve searched and looked on the decoder page with no luck. thank you

AudiOn19s
08-08-2008, 07:51 AM
sorry PFW = Purple Foamed Wool (pads)

imported_Bence
08-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Purple Foamed Wool

Marj
08-08-2008, 08:10 AM
After the 1Z Pasta Intensiv, you`ll need a medium strength polish. That`ll get it looking very good. BUT...to really make a color like the melange look great you oughta continue to final polish/"burnish"/"jewel" the finish after you get all the marring corrected. It`s that final "better than the eye can see" level of polishing that makes *all* the difference on colors like that, so don`t stop when it looks great because there`s a whole `nother level of "WOW!" waiting to be achieved.

Not being familiar with the Menzerna FP (I`ve only used FPI and it`s not what I`d reach for here), I dunno if the FP will be a) strong enough for use after the Pasta Intensiv and/or b) mild enough for the final burnishing.

As for which LSP, I honestly don`t think it matters all that much and the KSG might be fine. But IMO/IME KSG doesn`t really look (or protect) its best until you get at least 4 layers on there.

Accumulator, have you mentioned somewhere else on this site, the step by step process you use to "jewel" the paint?

Thanks

FOUND IT, under maching polishing

zarko
08-08-2008, 11:20 AM
first off thanks to everyone that replied.....second should i lay the ip one after another or should i give it time before each coat .......

this is what im thinking to do with the products and stuff i have

correct me if im wrong cause im a newb at this .

1 coat of iz pasta with 4 inch pad on porter cable 7420

3 coats of ip with 5.5`` yellow pad on flex 3401

1 coat fp on 6.5`` orange pad

1 coat of Klasse aio

couple of applications of the klasse sg min of 4 passes