PDA

View Full Version : Any Mobile Detailers Using a Trailer?

ReflectionsADS
08-04-2008, 09:34 PM
I have been detailing now for around 10 years family and friends. I am in the midst of getting a local mobile detailing business started as i`m very confident in my abilities. I have completed and present my business plan to banks and all is well in that aspect. I am at this point torn on the amount I should be asking for, soley for the reason that i read this thread, and i see a considerable amount of you do mobile out of your normal every day vehicles. Maybe i don`t see the behind the scenes.

Question: Should i go in to the bank ready to sign a $20k loan for a fully loaded trailer w/ advertising package and have some left over for equiptment, or sign for a $5k loan and rely on customers having water hook-ups and electricity?

Obviously i`m torn because $20k to start-up is a lot, but i know i have the mindset to do very well, but $5k is less of a risk for a startup business. Please provide you`re thoughts or any input you may have.

-John

Jean-Claude
08-06-2008, 07:10 PM
I started my professional carrier detailing about 6 months ago. I used my F150 and pulled an open trailer that held my tank, generator and pressure washer.

Could I get everything done that way? Yes.

Was it fun? No

I know that you did not ask if whether using a trailer or a van was a better idea. But, just to give you an idea of what I, personally, experienced... I will tell you that having the ability to carry water is smart. Further, I would use a van.

Having a water tank does not have to cost a lot. A used open trailer can be had for a few hundred dollars. A large fresh water tank can be had for less than $100 on craigslist/locally. A step nicer is having an enclosed trailer...$1k+. The best is having a large van.

Advertising? Yes. Make sure to spend money on having vinyls added to your rig. It`s cheap advertising.

Having a trailer you will fear theft and it`s not as easy to work out of. Driving/parking/fuel cost all suck with a trailer.

I can`t tell you to spend $20k or not. I know that if I had to run a trailer-rig I would have a 4-cylinder truck pull a small enclosed trailer. Total of about $10k`ish if I wanted to save money. $20k is for a pretty nice rig. I would suggest start off meager and work up to nicer.

imported_weekendwarrior
08-07-2008, 06:16 AM
My buddy buys used vans from his county every now and then for his business (not a detailing business). They are typically all Ford vans, and have @ 100,000 miles on them, and are white. The county does a pretty good job maintaining their stuff (mechanically), and he can typically get another 100,000 miles out of them. Most of the time, he can pick one up for $5,000 or less.

Just a thought - if you are wanting to start out cheaply, check with your county / local municipality for a used van.

ReflectionsADS
08-07-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks, both are very good ideas. I have actually given thought to the van or SUV idea. I just bought a truck (not 4 cyclinder haha) but i intended to pull the trailer with it. But the van idea seems much cheaper and would actually be able to fit all the things the trailer would too. I am going to look into what i would pay for a used van and go from there. Thanks!! Any other imput or suggestions are always welcomed!!!

-John

Bert
08-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks, both are very good ideas. I have actually given thought to the van or SUV idea. I just bought a truck (not 4 cyclinder haha) but i intended to pull the trailer with it. But the van idea seems much cheaper and would actually be able to fit all the things the trailer would too. I am going to look into what i would pay for a used van and go from there. Thanks!! Any other imput or suggestions are always welcomed!!!

-John

When just starting out, I would go as simple as possible. If you have all kinds of overhead hanging around your neck and a large loan to pay off, a large amount of what you make in your first year will be going to pay for the loan and maintenance on all your stuff.

Scottwax has been detailing since I believe 1994. To this day I believe he still details out of the trunk of his car - no trailer, no watertank, no pressure washer, no extractor, no air compressor (that I know of), no generator (that I know of). He washes with ONR and cleans carpets with Biokleen and brushes he attaches to his DA.

In the beginning, I would recommend detailing that way, with not a ton of money out of your pocket or worse, a loan payment each month. Once you become more established, if you want to go the trailer, watertank, pressure washer, extractor, air compressor, generator route, feel free. In the beginning, I would keep it simple.

ReflectionsADS
08-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Very good idea. Thank you. The only real reason i was thinking trailer route was to have the water tank, generator, vaccum, hoses, etc... that way i didn`t have to rely on a water hook-up or electric if i was at a job that didn`t provide that.

Bert
08-07-2008, 03:47 PM
Like I said, I would wait until you are running a profitable operation before diving into such expensive equipment. You will need a wet vac and a alteast a DA (probably a rotary also) but I would hold off on the trailer, water tank, pressure washer, generator, etc.

I am not sure what Scottwax uses for electricity if he doesn`t have a power outlet nearby. Some people have an inverter hooked up to their car to run a DA or rotary with.

EcoAutoCT
08-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Return on investment is KING.

Gross sales is not the same as net profit. Keep your investment as small as possible when starting a new business, minimize risk until you know it will work.

While the adage `it takes money to make money` is true; whose better off- The guy who spends 5K and makes 45K in sales, or the guy who spends 20K and makes 60K in sales? 40K = 40K, I don`t care how you look at it.

EcoAutoCT
08-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Like I said, I would wait until you are running a profitable operation before diving into such expensive equipment. You will need a wet vac and a alteast a DA (probably a rotary also) but I would hold off on the trailer, water tank, pressure washer, generator, etc.

+1, ROI

This being my first year in business for myself, I bought used whenever I could. Spent less than $1000 and I`ve got all the essentials, and no cheap brands either. Doing this enabled me to recovered most of my investment in the first two weeks.

JRock10
08-10-2008, 05:23 AM
I started with my `85 S10 and about $3500 for a 125 gal tank, pressure washer, generator, shop vac, hoses, products, supplies, and some extraneous bull$hit that i haven`t used that much. I had the cash, and did detailing as some side work to my regular job.

David Fermani
08-10-2008, 05:43 AM
If you want a great example of a super sweet trailer, do a search for Grouse. Very high tech.

imported_advs1
08-15-2008, 05:17 PM
also dont forget some places you can not leave your trailer un hitched. a local detailer i know switched from trailer to van because he got tired of get harrassed by the PD in our areas. also it is hard to park a trailer in some instances. my with drives a 2500HD with a 27 ft trailer for her horses and she has been doing it for 8 years, she does pony rides and petting zoos for kids parties, and she is always fightng traffic and parking situations are always a topic.

ReflectionsADS
08-16-2008, 08:19 PM
I did take a look at my my basic expense report if i did get the trailer vs. working out of my truck, and it looks like i`m definately going to start out small and work myself up. The trailer includes a lot of what i would like and need but at the same time, it doesn`t include everyting, and then i`m looking at an additional $5k or more for equipment. I`ve already started buying products and equipment that i will need, and by the time i am ready to open for this coming season, I will be fully invested on my own and ready to begin. I do still have one issue though, since i will be mobile, how do you feel about telling a customer that you will have to use their electric and water hook-up? To me it seems a little un-prepared i guess. Any suggestions for that?

ReflectionsADS
08-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Return on investment is KING.

Gross sales is not the same as net profit. Keep your investment as small as possible when starting a new business, minimize risk until you know it will work.

While the adage `it takes money to make money` is true; whose better off- The guy who spends 5K and makes 45K in sales, or the guy who spends 20K and makes 60K in sales? 40K = 40K, I don`t care how you look at it.

This was my original point. And exactly how i saw it. 40k = 40k. But i`ve decided to minimize my risk as you stated until I really get going.

-John

Showroom Shine
10-23-2008, 05:47 PM
I had thought about a trailer,but was able to get a nice truck instead. This truck has 125k on it. All my detail things are in the back, locked and covered. The list:

60 gallons of water

Pressure Washer 50` hose

Aztec Heated Extractor

wet/dry vac

Coleman Powermate Generator

Flex, PC, Rotory

12 x 12 Tent

All the products