PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Megs #21 - why so expensive ???

Pages : [1] 2

steck
08-02-2008, 10:45 AM
just picked up some #21 (well almost didnt buy it) at Carquest..it came up to $34 big ones ??

is that what this stuff is worth up here in Canada ??

i think NXT2 is cheaper over the counter (which is darn close to the same right?!)

:confused:

steck
08-02-2008, 10:46 AM
just picked up some #21 (well almost didnt buy it) at Carquest..it came up to $34 big ones ??

is that what this stuff is worth up here in Canada ??

i think NXT2 is cheaper over the counter (which is darn close to the same right?!)

:confused:

just checked Eshine - $22.00 (i`m takin mine back to Carquest - F them)

Big Leegr
08-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Meg`s answer to this was something along the lines of extra cost to print the bilingual labels, covering the risk carried by the importer to have products made up with said labels and border fees. I`m not really believing this to be legitimate, but it`s their answer.

I`m not sure, but eshine`s might be an imported US version (non-bilingual label), so it`d be a bit cheaper that way.

imported_User Name
08-02-2008, 11:48 AM
As I understand it the only difference is that #21 2.0 can be applied with rotary whereas NXT 2.0 cannot.

As for the difference in price... this is pure, unadulterated BS by whoever is importing the goods. I live in the US, but for the longest time the explanation for the price difference in consumer goods has been the disparity in the dollar.

However, now the USD and Loonie are on par so there is no reason for the drastic difference in price (I bought some #21 for $16.99). I suppose there could be an argument for "economies of scale" but all of these products are manufactured in the US, so there is NO reason for such a huge price difference.

Maybe you should contact Meg`s customer service and complain.

Fallz
08-03-2008, 10:19 AM
I am under the impression from Megs they are 2 different products , though technically speaking both synthetic sealant. I`m sure they are not going to make an OTC product the same as the prof. line of product. You can pretty much tell also with the durability people talk about with NXT v2 compared to the M21. A lot of people say the NXt v2 still does not have the durability but looks good for a period of time.

I still use M21 (orig) though to use it up. Its a great product with the ease of use , and does hide some micro marring and has a similar look to a nuba and has some good durability.

imported_User Name
08-03-2008, 10:51 AM
You`re probably right... when I wrote the "only" difference I should have probably written the "major" difference.

I remember reading a post by Mike Phillips on the comparison and he had mentioned the biggest difference is that M21 can be used with a rotary.

skuz
08-03-2008, 10:52 AM
The bilingual labels are only required in Qc, shouldn`t affect the rest of Canada.

salty
08-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Also what about free trade.

Fallz
08-03-2008, 12:20 PM
You`re probably right... when I wrote the "only" difference I should have probably written the "major" difference.

I remember reading a post by Mike Phillips on the comparison and he had mentioned the biggest difference is that M21 can be used with a rotary.

Interesting , good to know. I wonder why the durability is so different though ?

imported_User Name
08-03-2008, 05:24 PM
The bilingual labels are only required in Qc, shouldn`t affect the rest of Canada.

Although I`m officially a yank... what you wrote is not correct.

The Consumer Packaging and Labelling Act applies to any person who is a retailer, manufacturer, processor or producer of a product, or a person who is engaged in the business of importing, packing or selling any product. It applies to EVERY Province.

For example, up until 2006, Phillip Morris refused to package bilingually and as a result you couldn`t buy a pack of Marlboro`s in Canada, unless you did so on the black market. So, when you go to Ontario, that box of Honey Nut Cheerios will be in both English and en Francais!

imported_User Name
08-03-2008, 05:26 PM
The cost of creating bilingual labels in Canada can hardly account for double the price. I`d call customer service and complain.

imported_User Name
08-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Interesting , good to know. I wonder why the durability is so different though ?

Well, I`ve talked to a lot of guys who use both and most think the durability is about the same.

najman
08-03-2008, 06:17 PM
The cost of creating bilingual labels in Canada can hardly account for double the price. I`d call customer service and complain.

Smaller market 10 times smaller and the cost of translation and yes one important this is old school .most businesses are old school the marketing that exist in the USA you cannot find it anywhere .and do not forget shipping charges yes add like 25% to the original price.so buy from the USA will be much cheaper and faster to get bigger choice sorry for that but we have to admit it :wall:wall:wall

imported_User Name
08-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Hold on...

So, if you buy it from Niagara Falls, USA, it is $15, but if you cross the bridge and buy it from Niagara Falls, Canada, it is an EXTRA $15 for shipping?????

pricha00
08-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Similar story here. Bought a Megs W8000 8 inch foam buffing pad from a auto body supply house in St.Catharines, Ontario called TopTech. Being a newbie with a rotary I wasn`t aware of the price from other retailers. They charged me over $36 dollars and when I went online I found it for $13.99 US. Even with delivery from half way across the country it was still cheaper. What a ripoff!!!!I will never go back there again. They just lost a customer for life. Hope that extra $20 bucks was worth it. I have no problem paying a little more in Canada since I understand our taxes are a little higher and they must import the products but that price discrepancy is a joke.

Pat.