PDA

View Full Version : towels / cloths polishes , waxes ???

schybrid
07-29-2008, 07:00 PM
whats the best towles / rags ,etc... to remove polish / seanant / wax ?

I was using the ol` autozone "yellow" soft rags to remove wax etcc.., then i bought a microfiber towel ,but the microfiber towel doesnt seem to remove the sealant / wax very good, but its softer ?

so my question is :

what is the best towels to remove sealant & wax, or are they different ?

also after polishing with a machine, do i use aa special rag / towel or just a mocrofiber ?

sorry for multiple / dumb questions, but i know you guys "know your stuff", so thanks for lookin and helpin .

qwertydude
07-29-2008, 07:30 PM
Usually if you`re having such a hard time removing wax or polish with a mf you`ve applied too much or waited too long. But I myself wait for waxes to really cure so I use soft terry cloths as a wax breaker and collinite even on glass lasts a longer time when you let it cure, I did a friends window with collinite and he let it set and even a squeegee with windex couldn`t remove the wax haze left. Only thing that did was to rewax it and remove before it fully set. Polish I remove as soon as it`s dry, no curing.

BigAl3
07-29-2008, 09:25 PM

you`re going to get many different answers, as there are no "best" microfibers. there are ALOT of high quality mf towels out these days, and it just comes down to what YOU like. what one person may like, another may not. do a search and you`ll find lots of info...

BigAl3
07-29-2008, 09:26 PM

you`re going to get many different answers, as there are no "best" microfibers. there are ALOT of high quality mf towels out these days, and it just comes down to what YOU like. what one person may like, another may not. do a search and you`ll find lots of info/opinions...

schybrid
07-29-2008, 11:03 PM
you`re going to get many different answers, as there are no "best" microfibers. there are ALOT of high quality mf towels out these days, and it just comes down to what YOU like. what one person may like, another may not. do a search and you`ll find lots of info/opinions...

I`m not quite understanding....... I`m saying I used an actual soft microfiber towel to remove the pre-wax & sealant, and its was more difficult then with a typical detailing rag. Does / will the detailing rag cause scratches on the clear opposed to a microfiber towel ?

and....... Are they specific towels "microfiber" fro drying the car & specific ones for removing wax ? or are they the same ?

tomstin
07-30-2008, 09:21 AM
I wash the microfiber stuff in one load and the cotton in another. I prefer the cotton for windows. For the microfiber, I keep a 5 gal bucket with some car wash or APC (whatever is handy) and water in it and as I finish with a towel I toss it in. I have found if you keep them wet, they clean better. I do have microfibers that I keep separate for washing (ONR), wax removal and then the other more dirty jobs. But I do wash all the microfiber together.

With the water issues here in NC, I would have a tough time justifying, to myself, multiple loads for microfiber. I rationalize the water savings of the ONR with separating the cotton from the microfiber loads...I know, I`m strange! LOL!

Accumulator
07-30-2008, 09:50 AM
Some people do find certain MFs too gentle, but I`ve never had that problem even though my go-to waxes are Meg`s #16 and Collinite 476S (which I let set up for a *long* time before buffing). Gotta admit I`m simply :nixweiss :confused: about the problems people have.

As noted, most product removal issues are related to excessive product. With a properly thin application, LSPs (with *VERY* few exceptions, primarily extremely high-end carnaubas) buff off easily even if you leave `em on there for hours. Polishes are buffed off before they`re completely dry anyhow, and there shouldn`t really ever be an issue with those types of products (if there is, it`s almost certainly the technique and not the towel). Hope the preceding didn`t sound too :nono but I`d rather head off the problem before it happens than try to find a solution to the problem after it occurs.

As for the towels, yeah, a more aggressive towel will make it easier to buff off any product, but it`s a fine line between "aggressive enough for easy buffing" and "aggressive enough to mar the paint".

If you want to use a relatively aggressive towel, OK, but I`d sure CD-test it first, just like *anything* that`s gonna touch paint. *NO* textile that will cause marring ever touches my paint, period. Something is either soft enough that it won`t mar or coarse enough that it *will* mar..pretty cut and dried, and unless the paint in question is *really* soft the CD-test oughta be OK.

So I`d find a *paint safe* towel that does the job and just stick with that. Oh, and fogging the surface of the panel with your breath, or even spritzing with chilled distilled water or certain QDs (e.g., FK425) can help a lot.

schybrid
07-30-2008, 11:37 AM
I wash the microfiber stuff in one load and the cotton in another. I prefer the cotton for windows. For the microfiber, I keep a 5 gal bucket with some car wash or APC (whatever is handy) and water in it and as I finish with a towel I toss it in. I have found if you keep them wet, they clean better. I do have microfibers that I keep separate for washing (ONR), wax removal and then the other more dirty jobs. But I do wash all the microfiber together.

With the water issues here in NC, I would have a tough time justifying, to myself, multiple loads for microfiber. I rationalize the water savings of the ONR with separating the cotton from the microfiber loads...I know, I`m strange! LOL!

what the ........ what are you referring to about washing the towles ??????:funnypost:p

I was not asking about washing towles, I`m asking about what towles to use to remove wax ?:sadwavey::2thumbs::woohoo::LOLOL

tomstin
07-30-2008, 01:38 PM
what the ........ what are you referring to about washing the towles ??????:funnypost:p

I was not asking about washing towles, I`m asking about what towles to use to remove wax ?:sadwavey::2thumbs::woohoo::LOLOL

Sorry, posted to wrong thread. deleted post

gleam
07-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Some MFs remove wax better than others.... having said that some cheap MF can also cause as many scratches as a regular detailing rag.

Just a matter of trying some different MF to find something that works. I`ve had good success with UBER MF from detailersdomain.com as well as Adam`s Polishes MF (more expensive though)