PDA

View Full Version : How to fill swirls?

mjpowers728
07-29-2008, 03:39 PM
I`m a little confused about applying filler products to hide swirls. I read on here that NXT can fill pretty well, so I bought some last weekend and applied two coats. I definately brought out the color (black, btw) and hid some of the swirls, but not all of them. Would applying additional coats improve the filling or is this the best it`s going to get aside from machine polishing? Do fillers have to be worked into the paint or just applied?

Slightly related, I was experimenting a bit with some polishes and pads and managed to take your average swirls off of my hood with one application of Wizards Finish Cut via a blue edge foam pad. Can anyone tell me if this is too harsh a combo to use frequently? After a lot of neglect (from others, mind you!), my car is decently swirled about every couple months. That`s a lot of polishing to wear down the clearcoat, and a lot of time, so I`m thinking I may want to stick with the filling route when it comes to swirls.

imported_shine
07-29-2008, 03:47 PM
I believe NXT has some cleaners in it so it would not be beneficial to layer it, unless you want to ensure even coverage. I`ve experienced RMG hiding some swirling.

Your best best is to remove the swirl marks. I`m not familiar with Wizards Finish Cut polish, but IIRC the Edge blue pad is more for a finishing polish, after you are content with the initial swirl removal with a stronger cut pad. Are you using a DA or rotary?

mjpowers728
07-29-2008, 03:58 PM
I`d be using a rotary. I keep it a bit under 1400 rpms.

Legacy
07-29-2008, 04:27 PM
After removing the swrils, you need to improve your washing and drying technics, especially on black paint.