PDA

View Full Version : why ever use rotary ???

schybrid
07-29-2008, 12:54 AM
if everyone says the flex is pretty capable of removing swirls etcc... why would anyone want to use a rotary, are they just quicker,or do they have more cutting power. I`m not idiot when using power tools etc. and have worked with tools my entire life,but people have me scared to buy/use a rotary. If i use a rotary, and use it at low speeds & correctly, would it be better than the flex , or not ?

Jscort98
07-29-2008, 01:28 AM
I`m no expert on the rotary by any means (just used one last weekend for the first time).

The flex is still a DA which means it is safer but it still will take longer than a rotary. After I used the rotary for a little bit it was easier than I thought it would be. I still need a lot of practice before I work on anyones car but my own, but I will definitely be getting one. I`d suggest getting a rotary and working on some panels from a junkyard to get a feel for it. If you the keep the speed low and keep moving you`ll be alright. Tape up edges and badges too. I wouldn`t go above 1k rpms until you get a feel for the machine and different pads.

Again, I`m no expert, those are just my thoughts after using it this past weekend.

Search around here and you`ll find some rotary threads with more info.

Joel_MD
07-29-2008, 02:33 AM
I have never used a Flex, and understand it is a very capable machine. I only had a PC 7424 until a few weeks ago when I bought a Makita rotary. The rotary is so much more capable! I was so excited with my first rotary experience I started a thread on it here (http://www.autopia.org/forum/machine-polishing/109140-love-my-new-rotary.html).

blownvert
07-29-2008, 06:08 AM
i want a rotary the PC 7424 is not really good. Maybe need stronger swirl remover.

moogoob
07-29-2008, 06:19 AM
more thoughts from a non expert :) so I`ll preface it with "I read once..."

That it has to do with the speed a rotary can achieve. The higher speeds can generate more friction and heat to break down the polish better.... and I`ll stop here and wait for someone that knows what they`re talking about.

TTWAGN
07-29-2008, 06:35 AM
A rotary in the hands of an expert will acheive better results than a flex.

However an average user or even an expert with poor lighting will probably be able to acheive better results with a flex as it is significantly easier to acheive a hologram free finish.

If your goal is bulk/quick details which involve quick single stage cut n polish jobs then a flex is very attractive option. If you will be working under poor lighting then a flex is definitely the better choice.

Only an expert rotary user would say a rotary is better under all conditions.

If your working on a black car with a rotary with poor lighting then god help you if you are aren`t a jedi master at the rotary. You will be chasing your tail all day and it may still have holograms. With the flex on these tough jobs it will be quick and easy every time.

If you are working on heavily oxidised paint, or even boat gel coat then a rotary is the only way to go as it does have that better cutting power which is a big advantage here. If you are only removing moderate swirls that high level of cut isn`t required then the easier finishing flex is an attractive option. If you are working on new cars or new car maintenance that requires only no real correction and mainly applications of sealants then a Porter cable like machine is the best option here, however nearly every job requires paint correction so using just a Porter cable would be very slow.

Oxidised boat/paint or ultra high end detailing = rotary

Normal swirl removal on the average car under average lighting = flex

No swirl removal and just glaze/wax application = porter cable

I own a Metabo rotary, after trying a flex i will be selling my rotary forever. A Flex using a strong compound like Meguiars M105 will remove any imperfection i`ve come across in a single pass. The extra cutting ability of the rotary wont be missed in my case. Nor will having to redo panels after i move the car out in the sun to see the holograms that the flex wouldn`t have created in the first place.