PDA

View Full Version : Properly wording services...

MCWD
07-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Currently I have been changing many things within my business so that I can have the field advantage with the competition. Although there are no true mobile detailers in the area that are successful, I don`t want to be a sitting duck. Long story short, I typically offer my service descriptions to people verbally and redirect them to my website. Now I am looking to not only redo my wording for our services in addition to improving our services, I am creating a dual sided door hanger that I can put on mirrors, in mailboxs, on doors, and hand to customers which will offer a brief intro of our business and a small description of what we do on the rear side. Any suggestions on the service descriptions? I am really looking to wow people with the wording because it will compliment our superior service in the area and our presentation will be stronger. :help:

By the way, my current services are on my website which is under my profile....

Thanks!

Bobby G
07-28-2008, 11:19 PM
I`ll share with you what my business school professors drilled into my head:

Sell the BRAND first!

That means you have to create a brand. YOU are the brand! So, how are you selling YOU?

The fact of the matter is people don`t read. They live off of sound bites. If you shove a list of service descriptions in their face before you sell them on the brand, I think you loose them.

Now, tell me about your brand!

dublifecrisis
07-29-2008, 11:45 AM
by "sell the brand" are you referring to stuff like:

Here at XYZ Detailing, we only use the finest products imported from Europe and the plushest cloths money can buy etc?

derek37
07-30-2008, 12:19 AM
by "sell the brand" are you referring to stuff like:

Here at XYZ Detailing, we only use the finest products imported from Europe and the plushest cloths money can buy etc?

No David is referring to the fact you MUST sell yourself to any potential client. Sales101.

Bobby G
07-30-2008, 10:29 AM
No David is referring to the fact you MUST sell yourself to any potential client. Sales101.

Correct. Most detailing businesses (small biz in general) are built on the personal reputation of the owner. What is your "brand" reputation? Are you:

- Cheap and cheerful?

- Cheap, late and poor work?

- Exceptional work and well worth every cent?

There`s a business model that looks like this:

....... GOOD

.......... /\

......... / .\

FAST /___\ CHEAP

Take the two sides of the triangle that define YOUR business. The side of the triangle that is remaining is what your service WILL NOT be.

If a client want a good detail fast, it won`t be cheap.

If a client wants a good detail cheap, it won`t be fast.

If a client wants a cheap detail fast, it won`t be good.

Once you understand how this model works... and trust me, it work in every industry... you can put it to work in your marketing.

db

imported_Denzil
07-30-2008, 11:19 AM
Thanks for that insight David!

imported_Ivan Rajic
07-30-2008, 11:29 AM
Correct. Most detailing businesses (small biz in general) are built on the personal reputation of the owner. What is your "brand" reputation? Are you:

- Cheap and cheerful?

- Cheap, late and poor work?

- Exceptional work and well worth every cent?

There`s a business model that looks like this:

....... GOOD

.......... /

......... / .

FAST /___ CHEAP

Take the two sides of the triangle that define YOUR business. The side of the triangle that is remaining is what your service WILL NOT be.

If a client want a good detail fast, it won`t be cheap.

If a client wants a good detail cheap, it won`t be fast.

If a client wants a cheap detail fast, it won`t be good.

Once you understand how this model works... and trust me, it work in every industry... you can put it to work in your marketing.

db

David, I don`t mean to be a smartass, rather would like your input...

"If a client want a good detail fast, it won`t be cheap."... doesn`t this go more towards dragging as far as an appointment or detail completion goes and less towards the actual time it takes to do the detail? even if someone pays me a ton of money I can`t speed up the process just because they`re paying more, but I can put them ahead in line... hope that makes sense...

"If a client wants a good detail cheap, it won`t be fast."... same goes for this saying... if someone`s being cheap, you keep their car in the shop on the side while you work on another car...?

"If a client wants a cheap detail fast, it won`t be good."... only one that makes sense to me...

Again, I`m just trying to get your input on these sayings as I think they pertain to a certain other industry, for example body shop and/or maintenance car shop, instead of a detail shop...

EcoAutoCT
07-30-2008, 12:39 PM
I think you`re reading too much into the `pick 2` mantra.

good detail fast, not cheap - done well in a reasonable amount of time i.e. Professional

good detail cheap, not fast - done well but inconvenienced due to duration i.e. Amateur

cheap detail fast, not good - done poorly on the spot i.e. Hacker

edit*

Examples:

I`d rather pay a professional the $XXX difference to get my car back in 6-8 hours vs losing it for an entire weekend.

I`d rather save the $XXX and let an amateur do the same job in twice as long, because I don`t mind waiting.

I just want the car cleaner than it is, and can`t wait longer than an hour and change.

imported_Ivan Rajic
07-30-2008, 03:16 PM
I think you`re reading too much into the `pick 2` mantra.

good detail fast, not cheap - done well in a reasonable amount of time i.e. Professional

good detail cheap, not fast - done well but inconvenienced due to duration i.e. Amateur

cheap detail fast, not good - done poorly on the spot i.e. Hacker

edit*

Examples:

I`d rather pay a professional the difference to get my car back in 6-8 hours vs losing it for an entire weekend.

I`d rather save the and let an amateur do the same job in twice as long, because I don`t mind waiting.

I just want the car cleaner than it is, and can`t wait longer than an hour and change.

Yea I was... just thought I`d mention it... your description is perfect

MCWD
07-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Everyone that is aware of our presence sees a clean, organized, and a great service. Most of my customers feel that I am a franchise because we offer such a professional appearance. I know we have created a great name for ourselves, but that does not mean I can sit around and ride the wave. I constantly aim higher.

derek37
07-30-2008, 09:16 PM
good for you!

BigJimZ28
07-30-2008, 09:21 PM
"If a client want a good detail fast, it won`t be cheap."... doesn`t this go more towards dragging as far as an appointment or detail completion goes and less towards the actual time it takes to do the detail? even if someone pays me a ton of money I can`t speed up the process just because they`re paying more, but I can put them ahead in line...

you can do it good and fast but it will cost them because you will have to hire

other people to help get it done good and fast:idea

imported_advs1
07-30-2008, 11:52 PM
my tattoo artist has a sign hanging on his wall that reads: you get what you pay for, if you want me, you will pay. he is very good and charges appropriately. the model davidb is stating is very simplified, but is very accurate :xyxthumbs

the best thing i did was start working on brand recognition from the get go. my graphics guy did my name as my logo, now it is on everything i hand out, or advertise with. just so customers start to associate my logo with my name/work. big companies work for years to have brand recognition. the golden arches, the att globe, even the fedex arrow.