PDA

View Full Version : Looking for the WOW factor on Silver

scottiem
07-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I have to metallic silver cars and a blue onyx car. I am currently using the Klasse twins. I like the durability of them both but missing that WOW (wet look) factor. I know it`s hard to do on silver but was hoping someone could shed some light on what would be a good topper to use over the SG or another route to go. Thanks in advance for the info.

imported_sal329
07-28-2008, 07:09 PM
I really like DG 501 topped with 111 on my pearl white car.

Legacy
07-28-2008, 07:34 PM
I have to metallic silver cars and a blue onyx car. I am currently using the Klasse twins. I like the durability of them both but missing that WOW (wet look) factor. I know it`s hard to do on silver but was hoping someone could shed some light on what would be a good topper to use over the SG or another route to go. Thanks in advance for the info.Heres a couple of shots of a sliver/grey metallic. Polished with Menz 106ff and finished off with 87mc. Three coats of UPGP.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x229/rsurfer1/002-2.jpg

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x229/rsurfer1/006.jpg

cb804
07-28-2008, 09:11 PM
I`ve tried a lot of different things on silver. My favorite so far is Danase Wet Glaze topped with Pinnacle Souveran. Durability is fair but this isn`t my daily driver...

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x102/carmenb804/Z8/IMG_2865.jpg

Accumulator
07-29-2008, 10:03 AM
KSG is funny IMO...on some silvers it`s great but on others it`s simply blah.

But really, it`s in the prep. We always have a number of silver vehicles (and all our others are metallics too), and I use different LSPs on them with different, but equally satisfying results.

The real "wow!" factor on silver seems to come from jeweling/burnishing the finish to create a gloss that`s beyond simply "marring-free". Numerous progressively milder polishing steps *after* all the swirls are gone...that`s what really makes silver pop for me.

scottiem
07-29-2008, 07:42 PM
KSG is funny IMO...on some silvers it`s great but on others it`s simply blah.

But really, it`s in the prep. We always have a number of silver vehicles (and all our others are metallics too), and I use different LSPs on them with different, but equally satisfying results.

The real "wow!" factor on silver seems to come from jeweling/burnishing the finish to create a gloss that`s beyond simply "marring-free". Numerous progressively milder polishing steps *after* all the swirls are gone...that`s what really makes silver pop for me.

Thanks for the reply, any recommendations on products. I like the Klasse twins for durability but just doesn`t give me what I want. Any info and help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

whitejavaS500
07-29-2008, 07:43 PM
I like UPGP, Z2 Pro, and Liquid Souv.

LQ9SS
07-29-2008, 07:54 PM
Z2 topped with Z8 = WOW!!!

Legacy
07-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Here`s another shot with DWG and UPGP

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x229/rsurfer1/005-3.jpg

imported_sal329
07-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Scottiem do you have a picture of the silver you are talking about?

thesacrifice
07-30-2008, 09:58 AM
I`ve tried all kinds of combos on silver and Poliseal topped with AJT is killer

Accumulator
07-30-2008, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the reply, any recommendations on products. I like the Klasse twins for durability but just doesn`t give me what I want. Any info and help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Scott

I`ve not found any LSP that`ll really rival *layered* KSG when it comes to durability, though Collinite 476S comes close and I suspect that FK1000P might be another good choice (too soon to tell).

FWIW, I do think KSG looks better after four layers.

My fave selant for silver (use it on my S8) is UPP, but the durability is pretty lousy.

For the polishing (which I still think is the big issue here), once you get things marring free (under any lighting), try burnishing with something that`s *almost* functionally nonabrasive. On the Audis I like 1Z High Gloss. On something softer I`d go with products like Menzerna FPII. These would be used with finishing pads and I can`t overemphasize that you gotta get the finish perfect *before* switching to products like this. It`s a matter of taking things "beyond visibly perfect", that`s what makes the difference on paints like silver. IMO people quite polishing too soon on colors that "don`t show flaws" so they never see just how nice they could really get the finish (but rather try to make up the difference with specific LSPs, which IMO isn`t the solution).

-Longhorn-
07-30-2008, 10:15 AM
The biggest bang for your buck is Optimum Car Wax, I used it for the first time this week and Im amazed. It looks better than PS on my car.

TortoiseAWD
07-30-2008, 10:21 AM
On a slight tangent . . . regardless of LSP, I`ve found that on silver cars, making sure all of your dark trim (if you have any) is dressed and as black as can be, and keeping your tires well-dressed and dark as can be really help the silver pop.

Accumulator makes an excellent point as well . . . with silvers, it`s not the reflection so much that makes the paint pop as it is the metallic effect. Fine marring (beyond what you could see in normal lighting) will mute the metallic flake ever-so-slightly. Taking the extra step to buff with a very fine polish and soft pad will give extra flakiness. :)

Tort