PDA

View Full Version : How to clean the `MARK V` logo ?

Isabelle Tibbitts
07-28-2008, 04:43 AM
Just been cleaning the trunk of my Mark V using a PC, Perfect-it 3M (2 passes) then put FX Synwax from Mothers on .. and I`m very pleased with the result.

...however... in between the letters of the MARK V logo you can still see the 29 year old dirt.

- Does anybody know how to get things cleaned in between the letters ?

- Any tips on cleaning the letters themselves..

or probably even better.. does anybody know how to get the logo off the car (and back on) so I can PC underneath...

(I wanted to upload pics but it keeps telling me the upload failed, though my file size and pix sizes are OK)

steelwind101
07-28-2008, 05:08 AM
Hello!

Before i got in to detailing this was a real pain for me too!

So here is how i do it: If you can get hold of Swissvax brushes or any bodywork safe, detailing brush like the boars hairs ones that are small this is a help. Im in the UK, i see your in Belgium, im sure out detail suppliers ship to you. PM me if you need pointing in the right direction.

Secondly if you can get some Surf City Garage Road Trip Grime Remover or P21s Total Auto Wash (TAW). Spray this on to the badge area, let it dwell out of the sun light and it should start to break down alot of the dirt. Use the brush i mentioned above to agitate the cleaner. The cleaner will REMOVE wax/lsp.

If you have APC use that, it will do the same job but be careful, it doesnt offer the lubrication that the TAW or Road Grime remover offer.

Rinse clean and take some clay, roll it in to a fine end and spray lube around the badge and inbetween the badge. Use your clay to move around inside the badge, or just stick the thin point i said to make in the gap. Push until you have filled the gap and twist around, take it out and you should see alot of the crap is gone!

Rinse, tidy, up with brush any remaining dirt. Also you can try putting a PLUSH microfibre that has been soaked in warm wash mix in the gaps and twisting about with your finger. But clay and a good cleaner will help alot!!

Any questions, let us know!

Geoff

steelwind101
07-28-2008, 05:20 AM
Removing badges is one thing, cleaning the mess they leave is another thing.

I have never found it to easy to get them back on, thats probably just me but if your going show-style or concours you probably should do that. Someone has posted a picture lesson of how to do it on here before.

Isabelle Tibbitts
07-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Just to show how bad it is.. here `s a picture :

(I will try the P21 with a brush and see how that goes... )

http://users.pandora.be/M15/MARKV-clean.jpg

MidLife Cruiser
07-28-2008, 01:42 PM
Try Q-Tips cotton swabs with some APC or the clay should work. Be careful. That`s a fine looking Mark V.

Isabelle Tibbitts
07-28-2008, 02:24 PM
just finished trying the `brush` technique, first with P21 cleaner (not one of my favorites I must say) then I used 3M perfect-It and it`s already looking a lot better.

the in the deepest little corners one can still see `dirty` paint.

I will try the clay tomorrow.

thanks for the compliment Mid-Life Cruiser !!

it`s indeed a nice looking Mark V...but I can`t wait to have fully cleaned in the next coming days... btw the car in your avatar is looking like a real nice ride as well !

Isabelle Tibbitts
07-29-2008, 05:35 AM
well.. I tried the soaking wit APC I did the brush technique and even used Clay all those combined give me quite an improvement I must say,

still not perfection but I can live happily with the result (until I figure out how to get the logo`s off the car and back on without damaging nor the car nor the logo)

http://users.pandora.be/M15/MARKV-clean3.jpg

moogoob
07-29-2008, 06:13 AM
Not sure if its the same as my Subaru, but the badges were easily removed with a hairdrier to warm up the glue, and dental floss to "saw" through it.

Keep using a hair dryer (low) to keep the glue warm, and use gentle soap to finish removing it. Dont use any strong adhesive removers as it may soften your paint. I tried this in one location and it scratched my paint as I picked at the glue with a fingernail :( A littl patience went a long way in the other areas.

Some badges have tabs that go into holes in the body, so that might not work for you

Getting it back on is something I havnt tried yet

Good luck, and your results agr great!

dreamcatchr23
07-29-2008, 09:36 AM
glad... it`s amazing to see how dirty it had gotten to begin with... it would have been driving me crazy!!!! but great job, it certainly looks leaps and bounds better than originally...

Isabelle Tibbitts
07-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi Moogoob, thanks for your reply, but this is a 1979 and Lincoln (and Ford) did not glue these things onto the car back then , like everyone does now.

The Shop Manual talks about `sleeve nuts` and I have no experience with those, nor do I know how to remove them and whether I will be able to put them back on, without any damage.

On the `wheel` in de trunk lid are also individual letters (spelling out continental) these I can see from behind and I can clearly see a piece of metal going through, though there is no nut to hold it there. (that would have made it easy to unscrew and get it off and back on again)

dreamcatch23, thanks for the compliments...but if it wasn`t for steelwind 101 and this site... it would still be dirty .. so THANKS !

steelwind101
07-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Great clean up! Im glad to have been of help, it has made a whole world of difference.

That badge is old-school if its not using the glue method. On some Saabs they had a "Turbo" badge though the front grill. They seemed like a one time fix and the only way to get it off (it got chipped) was to snap the "T" shaped part at the back.

It might well be worth going to a MARK V website or owners club webpage. There must be a few on the internet and someone will advise you on how to get it removed. I would guess though, that if you remove it and break the badge or cant get it back on you will be left with a hole in the car you would need to fill and protect :hairpull

Geoff