PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference in waxes ????

lowmiler
07-27-2008, 05:14 PM
I have been reading on this forum and have noticed posters talking about waxes for dark colored cars. Well what is the difference? What makes one look better on a light covered car verses a dark colored car?

Which waxes are best for which color ???

lowmiler
07-28-2008, 07:21 AM
Help...help

I have a silver car and a red truck I am concerned with.

Bert
07-28-2008, 08:00 AM
I have been reading on this forum and have noticed posters talking about waxes for dark colored cars. Well what is the difference? What makes one look better on a light covered car verses a dark colored car?

Which waxes are best for which color ???

I believe what you are hearing is people saying that with dark colors (primarily black), use a carnauba wax rather than a polymer sealant. The reason many people feels this way is the belief that Sealants magnify the imperfections on the paint which are much more noticable on a dark colored (again black is the most obvious case) car than a light one.

As far as which wax to use, depends. Some highly regarded and not very expensive waxes are: Collinite`s waxes, Clearkote`s Carnuaba Moosewax and Poorboy`s Natty`s Red. All of these are around $15-30 I believe. If want more boutique waxes are you are willing to spend $50-100: P21S`s 100% Carnauabe wax, Victoria Wax Red and Pinnacle Souveran are all very good. You can spend MUCH more on wax but I think you will be happy with any of the ones I listed. Which works better on what color is very subjective. If you ask 10 Autopians about a specific color, you will probably get 4-6 different answers.

imported_User Name
07-28-2008, 08:44 AM
I think the entire "which looks best on which color" is bogus.

Black is almost always the best color to test any wax on, so if something looks good on black, it will look good on everything. If black is like the gold standard for wax performance but also a pain in the rear in as much as imperfections are most visible on black. So, like I said, if you find a wax that makes black look great, chances are it will be great for everything else.

My guess is that you probably something which will give you that deep, dark, wet look. I would suggest one of four waxes, all very reasonably prices and IMO as good as anything out there:

1. Meguiars NXT 2.0

2. Meg`s #26

3. Meg`s #21 2.0

4. Meg`s Gold Class Wax

Prices range anywhere from about $8 - $17 per wax.