PDA

View Full Version : Recommedation on what pad/product to use

Peanuthead
07-26-2008, 07:17 AM
I have slight ghosting, sanding scratches with a few sparse clear coat rough spots. From what I`ve read it seems that Meg #83 w/ an orange pad and then #80 w/ a white pad might be the best bet. I`m following this up with the Werkstat system (Prime, AJT and then Natty`s Blue or Collinite 845) The color is charcoal grey with a lot of metal flake so I`m trying to not mute it.

Anyone have other recommendations? Thanks.

Peanuthead
07-28-2008, 09:34 PM
Anyone have any recommendations?

rjom
07-29-2008, 03:56 AM
Your pad selection sounds good to me. I have about the same color car, had the similar imperfections, and used the orange and white LC with good results. I also use Natty`s Blue by hand, or Collinite with blue or black pad.

Accumulator
07-29-2008, 10:07 AM
I`d pick different polishes myself. If using Prime/etc. after polishing, the first that that`ll happen is that it`ll clean off the Trade Secret Oils/etc. from the Meg`s polishes...probably exposing a need for more polishing.

I`d use abrasives that leave less stuff behind (and that cut faster than #83).

Noting that I have a carbon metallic Denali XL, I`d be a little careful about putting numerous products on there if you want to maintain a good metallic flake pop. The less stuff between the clear and your eye the better the flake will look IMO. I`m using 476S on mine, and for the metallic to really pop I have to a) burnish/jewel the paint beyond just "marring free" and b) know when to say when with regard to how much wax/etc. I put on it.

Peanuthead
07-29-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Now the last questions is what size pads? From what I can tell 5.5" are going to be what I need. Thanks again.

Jscort98
07-29-2008, 10:46 PM
If you`re working with a DA go for 4" or 5.5" pads. The smaller pads work better cause the machine won`t bog down.

Accumulator
07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Now the last questions is what size pads? From what I can tell 5.5" are going to be what I need. Thanks again.

I can only get timely correction with 4" pads (via PC/etc.). I never found ~5" ones to be all that much better than the ~6" size.