PDA

View Full Version : Aquapel: Cleaning prior to appying?

imported_Devilsown
07-25-2008, 08:02 PM
I applyed the PPG version of aquapel to my Mini, I have been reading that you have to clean you window of everything first. I was wondering if using autoglym glass polish, then stoners was enough cleaning power to give the aquapel a good surface to adhere too. SO far I like the stuff but found out that it dosent go very far but I managed to get all my windows and sunroof JUST BARLY! I was squeezing that aplicator like tommorow wasnet going to come. I also noted that it will "stain" if lots of pours on one part of your window :aww: no biggie I need a new windshilld anyways.

Jscort98
07-25-2008, 10:35 PM
The polish and stoners will be enough to remove whatever is on there. I tried aquapel but didn`t really notice it working. Now I just put some collinite 476 on the windshield and the water beads off when I hit 45 or I`m sitting at a stoplight. So far it`s lasted me at least a month with one application.

JohnKleven
07-26-2008, 09:50 PM
It also helps to put your defroster on high heat before applying Aquapel.

John

ProStreetCamaro
07-27-2008, 01:09 PM
It is absolutely amazing that you posted this. A couple days ago I got the PPG version and decided to do a test. I polished the passengers side of the windshield with zaino glass polish (amazing product BTW) and then cleaned the entire windshield with stoners then applied the PPG.

Yesterday we had a light rain shower as I was driving home. I noticed the water beaded up very good on both side. But the water on the passengers side where I polished first rolled up the window faster than on the unpolished side.

That right there was proof that glass needs to be polished first before application to get the maximum benefit out of this glass treatment. Time will tell how it holds up. I have read on here that one can expect 6 months or more out of it.

Here is what I noticed.

1. 50mph and up was required to get the water moving upward.

2. wipers were not needed above 50mph

3. water beaded up very nicely on the glass

4. The wipers when used cleaned the water off the glass much better and left no streaks and made no noise

all in all a great product!

derek37
07-27-2008, 02:26 PM
I like to clay the glass first before applying Aquapel.