PDA

View Full Version : Compound and Polishes

Kustom Kevin
07-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Ok so i just finished detailing the dads Black BMW 740i, I used Optimum Hyper compound on a black wool pad to try to remove some scratches, it didnt remove anything, whats going on, next i moved up to a yellow pad and Optimum polish to remove the swirls from the compound, still the swirls are still there and then finnially i tryed a blue finishing pad with Menzerna Final Polish to remove and polish it out and it got better but the swirls are still there, im using a rotary and min-1k speed. please help me out

Kustom Kevin
07-23-2008, 02:51 PM
so........

E300Diesel
07-23-2008, 03:29 PM
I noticed I have had better results with my UDM running it @ slower speeds. I use Optimum`s HyperCompound and Polish with smaller 5-5.5" pads.

How fast are you passes? Lower RPM`s (800rpm maybe) and longer work times with the polish, i.e. Optimum Polish on a white pad may do the trick....

I had similar results before with the HyperCompound leaving compounding swirls. But I was also running the UDM @ speeds 5, mostly 6.

Kustom Kevin
07-23-2008, 03:39 PM
hmm im moving slow and and the smallest speed possible

Kustom Kevin
07-23-2008, 05:33 PM

holland_patrick
07-23-2008, 06:36 PM
ok how long did you work it. the opt line needs to be worked for a long time. I found opt hyper to me not aggessive as they said it was..

black is a very hard color and it takes 3-4 steps..to be perfect

so i would do(which some of what you already did)

opt hyper with wool(no need to repeat this)

Opt- yellow pad(might have to hit this one again)

Opt with a polishing pador orange pad

finish polish with polishing pad (might be x2)

black is a test your detailing skills

imported_JoshVette
07-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Sounds like the polishes are not breaking down thus just marring the surface and cause machine swirls.

Try working the polishes in at higher speeds like 1200-1500rpms, then when worked in, turn it back down to like 900rpms and finish it off. Move the buffer slowly, not quickly and do not buff it dry.

Josh

Kustom Kevin
07-23-2008, 09:03 PM
ok thanks for the help ill be doing my sl500 tommorro and ill post some pics.