PDA

View Full Version : ARRRGH!!! Can`t get windshield crystal clear

Pages : [1] 2 3

bamorris2
07-23-2008, 08:52 AM
I use both Meg`s Detailer`s line glass cleaner and/or IG. Lately, both have been "appearing" to be clean when I do them, but the next morning when the sun hits it just right, it looks like some wack-job from the local carwash cleaned them. Not only do I see a haze, and the associated marks that go along with haze, but there are "run" marks that looks like liquid has run down the windshield (as in the glass cleaner run).

I don`t know what I`m doing wrong, and it`s driving me nuts. :furious: I spend the entire drive to work pissed off at that windshield! LoL

Here`s my normal routine: First, I use MF detailing towels or the Mainstay MF`s. I spray the glass cleaner (Meg`s or IG) directly on the windshield, then thoroughly wipe with 1st MF. I then proceed to take a 2nd MF and "buff" until smooth and dry. That`s it! It looks spotless at the time, but again the next morning when the sun hits it, it looks like my 4-year old daughter cleaned them.

A few additional details... My windshield is relatively new. It was replaced about 3 months ago. I wash all my MF`s together, including the ones I use for glass. But I use hot wash and rinse cycles, and I don`t really load up any MF`s with wax residue.

So what can I do to get a perfectly spot/haze-free windshield???

Zspectrum
07-23-2008, 08:55 AM
try having the second mf be slightly damp with distilled water use it to wipe down the windshield when all the product has been absorbed by the second towel take a 3rd towel and give it a good final wipe down.

jedovaty
07-23-2008, 09:20 AM
Try cleaning it in the morning with the sun in that right spot... see if that "haze" goes away. Maybe first clean the windshield with regular wash, then follow up with your cleaner. ??

imported_advs1
07-23-2008, 09:55 AM
i use CG crystal clear. spray lightly, in this case less is more, wipe one way. flip towel over wipe other way. done. i think most people use too much product and that leaves residue that shows up after a light coat of morning dew falls on it. before i was shown how to clean glass with less product i had the same problems.

KnuckleBuckett
07-23-2008, 10:19 AM
On my front windshield, I have used an orange pad with SIP and then a second pass with a white pad and SIP.

I always clay my glass with ONR before using window cleaner. I then clean at least 2x with Stoners or Surf City.

I need to get a small squeegee soon...

snakey51389
07-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Trying using some good old windex and actual good paper towels. i notice alot of cleaners smear or towels make the product look bad.

Jetta
07-23-2008, 03:25 PM
I had that problem on my Jetta, I think it was a film on the window from who knows what, maybe out gassing by something in the interior. I ended up having to clean it with alcohol a few times to remove the film, only then was I able to clean it without having the haze and run marks there.

VroomVroom
07-23-2008, 03:39 PM
I agree with the suggestion of too much product. Cleaning glass is a suck, there`s no other way around it. :lol I always follow with a clean, dry, MF towel as a final buff. It tends to not be perfect, but is as close as I`ve gotten.

niero
07-23-2008, 03:44 PM
I use Invisible Glass, but I agree with KnuckleBuckett in that I usually do the windows twice. I`ve always had the problem you described, when I used Windex. But cleaning with Invisible Glass, twice, has so far worked great for me. I also get the cheaper 12packs of microfiber towels, so I usually have a brand new one handy for the final dry buffing.

bamorris2
07-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Thanks all for your suggestions so far. What I was thinking I`d try is a 50/50 of water and vinegar to try to cut through all the crud. Then, using new MF`s, clean it with the glass cleaner twice. And see how that works.

But it still puzzles me...what are those freakin` drip/run marks that I see??? The literally look like I sprayed the product, and completely missed wiping that section, although I`m absolutely positive that I didn`t..??..

niero
07-23-2008, 05:43 PM
Thanks all for your suggestions so far. What I was thinking I`d try is a 50/50 of water and vinegar to try to cut through all the crud. Then, using new MF`s, clean it with the glass cleaner twice. And see how that works.

But it still puzzles me...what are those freakin` drip/run marks that I see??? The literally look like I sprayed the product, and completely missed wiping that section, although I`m absolutely positive that I didn`t..??..

Two ideas:

1. Is it overspray from wax/polish or a plastic/rubber treatment?

2. Could you take a picture and upload it? A picture is, after all, worth a thousand words:)

Mindflux
07-23-2008, 06:00 PM
Welcome to my personal hell. I deal with this regularly and have yet to find anything aside from cleaning each piece of glass on each side 3 times.

Rastatt055
07-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Do you really wash your MF in hot water? That is a No-No. Wash in cold water only. Warm water can be tolerated, but hot water cannot. Polyester and polyamide both shrink in hot water. If you wash in hot water the fibers will shrink and the towel will not perform as intended. (Autopia learning library- Guide to detailing).

I use AIO. It works really well for me.

Mindflux
07-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Do you really wash your MF in hot water? That is a No-No. Wash in cold water only. Warm water can be tolerated, but hot water cannot. Polyester and polyamide both shrink in hot water. If you wash in hot water the fibers will shrink and the towel will not perform as intended. (Autopia learning library- Guide to detailing).

I use AIO. It works really well for me.

Yet people boil their towels now and then to restore their `usefulness`

:sosad

Bigpoppa3346
07-23-2008, 07:32 PM
Some windshields I can get clear with relative ease, others it seems like you will never fully clean them.

What I hate is when it looks clean from inside and out, and in a few hours you will have smears and streaks that you *know* were not there before. It`s like playing that whack-a-mole game, you never know where the streaks will pop up next.

Drives me nuts.:scared: