PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with foggy windows

danz24
07-22-2008, 10:48 PM
One of our cars has a problem with really foggy windows. It dosent have AC so that option is out. Is there a product that I can apply to the interior windows t prevent fog?

I tried the rainX one and its garbage

danz24
07-23-2008, 02:27 PM
hello? anybody?

imported_etml12
07-23-2008, 02:43 PM
This is going to sound condescending but it is not intended that way, so here goes. Are your windows really clean (and I mean as clean as can be)? I ask because the only time I have fogging issues is when there is film buildup on the interior glass. No grime, no fog. In fact, I hate cleaning interior glass so this is usually my indicator that I should clean it the next time around.

Sometimes it is necessary to use multiple products to remove all grime/contamination/film from glass.

niero
07-23-2008, 03:13 PM
I second this point by etml12. I used to always have a film on my windshield, that for some reason wouldn`t go away. I was using Windex to clean the windshield, as well as RainX`s rain product (not the anti-fog). As soon as I switched to Stone`s Invisible Glass, WOW!

I`ve used several glass cleaners, some for the house, like Windex, and some for cars (like Armorall Glass cleaner), and Invisible Glass rocks!

Btw, danz24, for mentioning that RainX`s anti-fog product is crap. I was thinking about getting it. I think I`ll try Unelko Corporations`s stuff: Unelko Corporation :: AUTO CARE – GLASS SCIENCE® (http://www.unelko.com/store/home.php?cat=249)

I ordered their RainShield and Glass Scrub.

ron350
07-23-2008, 03:32 PM
Danz24

What Rainx product did you use?

imported_sal329
07-23-2008, 04:17 PM
Rain X antifog works for me

Alex T.
07-23-2008, 04:35 PM
I was also thinking about buying rainx antifog because I use rainx on my windows (outside) and it rocks:bow. I`m usig the Glass Treatment Swipe & Wipe and I don`t use my wipers above 40 mph even in heavy rain. Only thing it is pain to get this off the windows but after wiping all I can I will follow with Z6 and they are spotless. Inside I use IG and no problems so far. I heard that if vinyl gets hot some chemical evaporates and it is setling down on your windshield and that is the "stuff" on inside of the windsield. Maybe this is the reason why dirty windows like to get foggy? But I`m not 100% sure if this is true or not, maybe anybody else heard that or I`m just wrong:nixweiss

niero
07-23-2008, 05:40 PM
I was also thinking about buying rainx antifog because I use rainx on my windows (outside) and it rocks:bow. I`m usig the Glass Treatment Swipe & Wipe and I don`t use my wipers above 40 mph even in heavy rain. Only thing it is pain to get this off the windows but after wiping all I can I will follow with Z6 and they are spotless. Inside I use IG and no problems so far. I heard that if vinyl gets hot some chemical evaporates and it is setling down on your windshield and that is the "stuff" on inside of the windsield. Maybe this is the reason why dirty windows like to get foggy? But I`m not 100% sure if this is true or not, maybe anybody else heard that or I`m just wrong:nixweiss

I also use RainX on the outside, and it rocks. I`m trying Unelko`s RainClear to see if it`s any better.

I have also read that vinyl protectants do have some chemical evaporation that gets on the windshield. The recommended fix was not saturating the vinyl with protectant, and cracking a window very slightly (if possible).

Oh, and what`s Z6? It doesn`t take off the RainX?

Eliot Ness
07-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Anything you apply to your windows to prevent fogging will have to be reapplied because it works by absorbing the moisture that condenses (fogs) the windows.

When the windows in a car fog up from weather conditions like rain, humidity, etc., and you don`t have any a/c to remove the moisture in the air it can be a loosing battle. I have also tried the Rain-X Anti Fog and a similar product (from a company I can`t remember) and was pretty disappointed in both of them. One solution I haven`t tried is to use a quality anti-fog designed for face shields, goggles, etc. It most likely won`t be cheap to treat a large area of glass, but here is one product:

Moto Solutions (http://www.motosolutions.com/)

A much cheaper solution is to use some shaving cream, that is an old trick that hot rodders use and I hear the Barbasol brand works very well. Just rub it all over your windows and then wipe it off. I was in Knoxville one spring at a street rod show and it was raining when we were getting ready to leave. I saw members of one club passing around a can of Barbasol and they swore it worked. They let me use some but it stopped raining and I never did see how it would work against fog because I cleaned my windows as soon as I got home.

Alex T.
07-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Oh, and what`s Z6? It doesn`t take off the RainX?

Zaino Z-6 QD or as sal like to call it Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray, and I don`t think it takes off the RainX, because water just don`t want to stay on windshield as I said no wipers no matter how hard is rains only thing it need to be reaplied quite often. And if the fog is really because of the vinyl protectant maybe the 1Z CP will hepl I read that it don`t have a lot UV protection (it`s not needed because car windows have UV protection)it says that it cleans more than protects so maybe the evaporation effect will be smaller(didn`t try it yet so I just assuming:nixweiss) Try the tread 1Z Cocpit Premium. So far I`m using 303 but soon will be ordering 1Z CP. I`m trying to get more matte look (303 is excellent product but always willing to try something new).

wascallyrabbit
07-23-2008, 07:13 PM
i find that the cleaner the window the less fog i get.

danz24
07-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Danz24

What Rainx product did you use?

All I remember was that it was rainX and the bottle said it can be used in the car to prevent fog. Sorry but I can`t find the bottle on their website, its been a few years since I used it. All I remember was that the windows actually fogged up more!!!

I will try cleaning the glass, you guys might be onto something there. The shaving cream idea, I have to admit I`ve never heard of that.

BigAl3
07-23-2008, 10:06 PM
try spraying an ample amount of glass cleaner onto the glass, lightly spread it around and then use a small, soft squeegee and swipe across. make sure to wipe off excess from the squeegee onto a mf towel, and then use a QD lightly misted on a mf towel for one final wipe buff/pass...

danz24
07-23-2008, 10:13 PM
try spraying an ample amount of glass cleaner onto the glass, lightly spread it around and then use a small, soft squeegee and swipe across. make sure to wipe off excess from the squeegee onto a mf towel, and then use a QD lightly misted on a mf towel for one final wipe buff/pass...

I have meguiars ultimate quick detailer. So I would clean the glass (using microfiber towels since I dont have a squeegee), then use the QD. BTW what role will the QD have?

BigAl3
07-23-2008, 10:27 PM
I have meguiars ultimate quick detailer. So I would clean the glass (using microfiber towels since I dont have a squeegee), then use the QD. BTW what role will the QD have?

a QD (many on here use it on glass) is another alternative and doesn`t streak as bad as most glass cleaners. i also like to use edgeless mf towels for glass (in conjunction with a glass cleaner/QD), they work great IME...