PDA

View Full Version : CRSSpotless + foam gun technique

efnfast
07-20-2008, 02:18 AM
I`ve been reading about reducing wash-induced swirls/marring, and it seems a lot of people are happy with their foam gun + crssplotless.

I`m just trying to work through the steps in my head on how this would work

(attach crsspotless)

- rinse car with water

- attach foam gun and foam car

- gently use wash mitt (is the bucket also filled with soap, or just water?)

- disconnect foam gun and rinse car

- watch crsspotless do its thing

Is that about right? :hm

Eliot Ness
07-20-2008, 06:33 AM
I use quick disconnects and attach my filter only for the final rinse. It`d be easier to use it the whole time, but the filters have a limited life before you have to replace the resin.

The rest of my process depends on several factors. If I come back from a car show with some light dust I sometimes do a quick rinse, foam gun soak, and filtered rinse to get it ready for the next day.

For a more thorough wash I usually either use the foam gun to do a pre-wash soak and have two buckets out for the actual wash and/or do a version of Accumulators wash:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-articles-videos/35232-accumulator-s-non-marring-wash-technique.html

Eliot Ness
07-20-2008, 06:39 AM
I use quick disconnects and attach my filter only for the final rinse. It`d be easier to use it the whole time, but the filters have a limited life before you have to replace the resin.

The rest of my process depends on several factors. I`ll usually do a foam gun pre-soak and still use two buckets for the wash. With a BHB I often do a version of Accumulators wash:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-articles-videos/35232-accumulator-s-non-marring-wash-technique.html

Accumulator
07-20-2008, 09:49 AM
I *STILL* haven`t gotten around to using my CR Spotless :o

But yeah, I`d only use it for the final rinse. Even if media life isn`t an issue, IMO the low flow rate of the CR Spotess will make it less than optimal for use with the foamgun. I`d do everything with a regular hose setup and the foamgun, then do a final rinse with the CR Spotless.

The whole foamgun-centric wash technique can be kinda tricky to get right. As you`ll see in that link to my wash technique, it`s a *LOT* more than just foaming up the car. Remember that every time you move your wash media across a dirty panel you risk pressing dirt against the paint- if you do that, and then *move* the dirt, you`ll get marring. Gotta work at "dislodge and flush". FWIW, it took me dozens of washes to get my technique sorted out, and I had already figured out exactly what I wanted to do. The first, oh...ten or twelve washes with the foamgun had me thinking "eh..this thing`s just a worthless toy", it took some doing to figure it all out so don`t give up if it doesn`t work 100% right from the git-go.

efnfast
07-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Ordered the crsspotless; I`m curious to see if it will be as good as the reviews are ... I still find it hard to believe that it will dry spotless.

docrice
07-22-2008, 07:02 PM
I recently got one and have no complaints. Now I can just rinse off and walk away without needing to towel-dry (which would raise the potential to mar the surface due to physical contact).

jb1
07-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Ordered the crsspotless; I`m curious to see if it will be as good as the reviews are ... I still find it hard to believe that it will dry spotless.

I was a non-believer as well. The only way it will spot is if you inadvertently leave some soap on the vehicle. You`ll be a believer after you use it 1 time. I know I was. We have pretty hard water here in Dallas and I used with my electric Karcher pressure washer and foam gun then final rinse. I blew through the cartridges faster than I thought I would. Once I change the resin, I`ll only use it for the final rinse. Good luck.