PDA

View Full Version : Leather Care????

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Mighty HD
07-17-2008, 12:12 PM
I sold my 07 Classic 2500hd Sierra 4x4 and got an 08 Tahoe Z71 4x4 LT3 this weekend. I now have black leather. I`ve never had a leather interior and am unsure of how to care for it.

A friend of mine suggested that I use some walmart leather conditioner immediately so it stays nice?

Before I do anything I figured I`d ask the folks here who know more than I ever will.

Any suggestions / Tips????

Thanks =)

:dance

walnuts
07-17-2008, 12:41 PM
I like using Leather Masters. Cleans and protects well and does not leave the seats slick or greasy.

Phil at Detailers Domain carries it

Strong - cut it 1:1 for most cleaning, use at full strength if needed.

Vital - conditioner

Leather Protectant

imported_Mighty HD
07-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Properautocare.com has a lot of stuff. I have seen Lexor? at walmart so far.

I`m leaning to the Blackfire brand........... ?

wascallyrabbit
07-17-2008, 06:32 PM
i use leather masters but lexol is pretty good. sometimes getting it locally is nice.

brwill2005
07-17-2008, 07:10 PM
I sold my 07 Classic 2500hd Sierra 4x4 and got an 08 Tahoe Z71 4x4 LT3 this weekend. I now have black leather. I`ve never had a leather interior and am unsure of how to care for it.

A friend of mine suggested that I use some walmart leather conditioner immediately so it stays nice?

Before I do anything I figured I`d ask the folks here who know more than I ever will.

Thanks =)

Most important thing is to keep it clean. Wipe the leather with a damp MF once a week. If you clean less often, you can use a mild detergent. I would also protect the leather twice a year or so. I use 303 protectant on my customer`s vehicles.

imported_Mighty HD
07-17-2008, 07:12 PM
I`m assuming because Lexol is over the counter, that does not really mean it`s junk?

imported_Dave1
07-17-2008, 07:22 PM

Brand new leather.......?

Just keep it clean......Woolite mixed 10-1 ( with water) and a micro fiber towel will do fine.......

imported_sal329
07-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Wipe it with a damp MF towel, if it needs to be cleaned I liek Woolite and water (10:1 water/wollite). For conditioner I like 4 Star

imported_DetailDan
07-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Leather Masters.

jwgarrison
07-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Tanners cleaner and conditioner work good.

zoomzoom3
07-18-2008, 12:59 AM
I mostly use Zaino Z-9 (to clean) & Z-10 to condition. I also have some Pinnacle Leather Cleaner/Conditioner, but I prefer the Zaino.

judyb
07-18-2008, 01:15 AM
Cleaning is an essential part of caring for your leather whether in your car or your home. It not only removes dirt and oils (which can, over time, break down the leathers protective coating) but will also help to maintain the condition and moisture balance in the leather. This is important for keeping the leather supple and makes it less likely to absorb spillages.

Dirt and body oils that are allowed to remain on the leather surface for prolonged periods are the main cause of damage to leather and dye transfer is of particular concern to owners of pale and cream interiors. The best way to ensure your leather remains in the best condition is to ensure that it remains clean.

Using a leather protector (not a conditioner) will help inhibit the absorption of dirt and oils and make your leather easier to clean.

Leather is one of the strongest upholstery materials there is and if looked after correctly will last a long time. Taking time to protect and clean your leather will maximise its life and keep it looking good for many years

Using ‘conditioners’ on leather is NOT necessary when you use water based cleaners and protectors as they will keep your leather clean and in good condition.

imported_Mighty HD
07-18-2008, 01:55 PM
What will prevent the leather from getting lines and cracks??

ManiZ
07-19-2008, 12:05 AM
^^^ Maintaining its natural softness.

I use Leather Stuff by Poorboy`s World and love it. It does a great job of cleaning and conditioning the leather and has a terrific leather scent to boot. I use it more often that most people would need to but Colorado has a very dry climate so I prefer proactively repleneshing my leather`s lost moisture.

Quality Leather
08-02-2008, 03:46 PM
I like using Leather Masters. Cleans and protects well and does not leave the seats slick or greasy.

Phil at Detailers Domain carries it

Strong - cut it 1:1 for most cleaning, use at full strength if needed.

Vital - conditioner

Leather Protectant

I didn`t want to crap on Phil`s thread, but the Leather Master cleaner is not that special and it is way over priced. I mix up my cleaner at about $.50 for a 32 oz bottle, while Claude`s stuff is $18 for an 8 oz bottle. I consider the 3M delicate duty scuff pad more important to cleaning the brand of cleaner.