PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Serious Help - Polished Aluminum Wheels + Track Day Brake Dust!

Pages : [1] 2

flash_e_gt
07-16-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey guys I`ve got CCW 505A Polished Aluminum Wheels which I stupidly took to the Racetrack. After two days of racing I returned to wash the car and the wheels and found that the brake dust is practically fused to the front wheels! The rears cleaned quite well, and look great, but the heavy braking on my phat *** car (Supra) must have been too much for the front brakes.

I tried just using normal automotive Soap and then went out and purchased wheel cleaner for Polished Aluminum Wheels (Meguires AND Eagle 1). While both did help a little bit, they neither really cut the base of the dust. I am at my witts end here folks, these were some expensive rims that look like crap at the moment, can you guys help me out?

For those that don`t know about CCW`s they are un-coated polished aluminum wheels.

UPDATE: Check out the end result on Page 2! :woot2:

BigJimZ28
07-16-2008, 08:37 PM
try some clay next

if all else fails polish them

dbesins
07-16-2008, 08:40 PM
clay will take forever get some p21 it s safe and strong, you ll have to do several application,

and let the prod stand for 10min before brushing

flash_e_gt
07-17-2008, 10:49 AM
ok, I`ll order some today and try that. Any other suggestions?

flash_e_gt
07-17-2008, 11:23 AM
oh and I did try some clay...didn`t seem to do much. Very slow!

BuffMe
07-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Use P21s and/or clay to get it as clean as possible, then clean up the remnants with aluminum polish on #0000 steel wool. Buff back to a shine with Mother`s Billet.

flash_e_gt
03-06-2009, 09:47 PM
hey guys,

I`ve tried everything above.... wheels are still stained by the brake dust. Any other suggestions or steps?

BigJimZ28
03-06-2009, 09:51 PM
could you post some pictures?

flash_e_gt
03-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Here are two - you get the idea about where it is worst

:work:

See Page 2

wannafbody
03-06-2009, 10:27 PM
Maybe sealing them with Zoop`s seal would protect them. Another option would be clearcoat or Eastwoods spray coating.

flash_e_gt
03-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I need to get them repaired first....

then I will just never drive them on the track again...I now have track wheels.

RC0310
03-07-2009, 11:31 AM
use a 3" buff pad to polish the rims.. or you can try polishing by hand but i think that`d be really tiring n slow..

I usually use steel wool for chrome rims.. but i`m not 100% sure if it`d scratch your polished surface..

steel wool is really strong and can take out anything.. maybe try a small area first and see if it`s leaving scratches behind..

good luck..!

imported_RZJZA80
03-07-2009, 01:42 PM
be careful with claying and scrubbing the wheels, sneezing close to CCW rims seems to scratch them.

PistolWhip
03-07-2009, 06:53 PM
By the looks of those very bad pictures, you need a complete polish. If you don`t have experience polishing aluminum you may want to take them somewhere and have it done professionally. I have True Forged polished billet rims and I`ve never had anything on them that P21S wheel cleaner, a good soft wheel brush and a wash mit couldn`t get off. The best finishing aluminum polish that I`ve used to date is Adams #2. You might be able to get some of that off with Adams #1, but its going to be a long and tedious process.

If it were me doing it, I`d start with P21S and a wheel brush. Anything that didn`t come off, I`d re polish with polishing rouge and a buffer. I`d Follow that up with Gliptone wadded "Heavey" metal polish followed by Adams #1 followed by Adams #2.

Either way it will all come off, your just going to need to spend some time and energy on them.

jtford95
03-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I agree with PistolWhip, They need a good polishing.