PDA

View Full Version : Ground Plug Snapped off! PICS

Carbon Blue
07-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Hey guys during a detail I snapped the ground prong off my 1000watt halogen work lamps. The whole ground prong came off and what looked like 2 pieces were still attached to the actual plug. Is there any way to fix this?? I hope I dont have to buy another set :(

http://media5.dropshots.com/photos/471360/20080708/b_224120.jpg

http://media5.dropshots.com/photos/471360/20080708/b_224132.jpg

BigAl3
07-15-2008, 01:29 PM
do you have the receipt still? IIRC, craftsman tools have a one year warranty?

az57chevy
07-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Or go to Home Depot/Lowe`s and get a new male plug, cut off the old one and splice in the new one:grinno:

mose
07-15-2008, 01:38 PM
I thought that all Craftsmen stuff had a lifetime warranty! Take it back and they should replace it!!

heatgain
07-15-2008, 01:38 PM
You can buy what`s called a "cord cap." It`s the plug piece with 3 prongs but you can open it to attach your wires. Your ground prong broke.

Cut off your black power cord right behind your broken cord cap. Then carefully strip the sheathing off your power cord about an inch or so, exposing 3 insulated wires inside, one white, one black, and one green. Strip each separate wire insulation back approximately 1/2 inch.

Fasten each bare wire to the new cord cap as follows: Black wire on the brass-colored screw, white wire on the brighter screw, and green wire on the green screw. Make a "shepard`s hook" on the end of each wire and loop it around the screw clockwise, then tighten each screw. Remember, white on bright, black on brass, and green on green.

Make sure after tightening each wire around a screw that no bare wires touch any other wire.

Tighten the cord cap back together. The insulation that covers all three wires should be intact where the cord exits the new cord cap. Done!

If you`re really ignorant of electricity and have no mechanical skills, ask someone else for help and watch them do it. It`s not hard to do but electricity deserves and WILL earn your respect.

heatgain
07-15-2008, 01:39 PM
I thought that all Craftsmen stuff had a lifetime warranty! Take it back and they should replace it!!

Basically the lifetime warranty applies to hand tools.

BigAl3
07-15-2008, 01:57 PM

i believe the tools (wrenches, sockets, etc.) do, but not the halogen stands amongst other things. usually it will say on the outer packaging...

Carbon Blue
07-15-2008, 02:06 PM
thanks for the info guys, Im a complete tard when it comes to electricity and circuits. But looks like Im gonna find out how much of a tard I really am when I try to repair this :) using Heatgain`s guidelines. Thanks everyone. :)

az57chevy
07-15-2008, 10:51 PM
You can do this !!!!

imported_advs1
07-15-2008, 11:02 PM
You can buy what`s called a "cord cap." It`s the plug piece with 3 prongs but you can open it to attach your wires. Your ground prong broke.

Cut off your black power cord right behind your broken cord cap. Then carefully strip the sheathing off your power cord about an inch or so, exposing 3 insulated wires inside, one white, one black, and one green. Strip each separate wire insulation back approximately 1/2 inch.

Fasten each bare wire to the new cord cap as follows: Black wire on the brass-colored screw, white wire on the brighter screw, and green wire on the green screw. Make a "shepard`s hook" on the end of each wire and loop it around the screw clockwise, then tighten each screw. Remember, white on bright, black on brass, and green on green.

Make sure after tightening each wire around a screw that no bare wires touch any other wire.

Tighten the cord cap back together. The insulation that covers all three wires should be intact where the cord exits the new cord cap. Done!

If you`re really ignorant of electricity and have no mechanical skills, ask someone else for help and watch them do it. It`s not hard to do but electricity deserves and WILL earn your respect.

LOL ya you`ll learn the hard way if you dont. i got hit with 50,000 volts. never been cold again.

heatgain
07-16-2008, 03:09 AM
LOL ya you`ll learn the hard way if you dont. i got hit with 50,000 volts. never been cold again.

Why`d she Taz you? :)