PDA

View Full Version : Any way to remove slight hairline scratches in show chrome?

rasmusmi
07-15-2008, 07:54 AM
Short of replacing the part with new or taking it off and having it re-chromed, is there any truly effective "quick-fix" out there in the market to remove very slight hairline scratches (look like something brushed across the part) on show chrome. They are very slight and can only be seen in certain light and from certain angles...but I know they`re there and it`s driving me NUTS! :cooleek::scared::faint: I am against using "paste" type poilishes on show chrome from a bad experience I had with "Semichrome" years ago...it ended up leaving more hairline scratches than before I started..:eek::nono:down Thanks for any advice or input you can give me! :)

Bobby G
07-15-2008, 08:37 AM
The problem with chrome is it`s so darn hard. You will need to use a buffing wheel and several grades of rouge to remove deep scratches. Final buff out by hand with a soft paste like Flitz.

For very fine work, I like to use the Luster Care (Luster Lace brand) pads.

db

Accumulator
07-15-2008, 12:51 PM
DavidB- Have you ever get any of these scratches out (not just concealed)? I just can`t seem to do it and I`ve been trying for 20-some years on the Jag (since the day I brough it home) with about every polish under the sun yet no joy :(

I have areas where the chrome is worn away down to the underlying layers of plating and on the immediately-adjacent, still-chrome-plated areas the scratches are still there, leading right up to the worn area!

kertis
08-30-2008, 03:49 PM
I have never been able to get rid of hairlines in chrome...you might have to get a professional to rechrome it or buff the hell out of it..